Broadhead search...need some feedback please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowholic

Broadhead search...need some feedback please

Post by xbowholic »

O.K.....I am finishing the season with my 150 grain broadhead BUT I am wanting to reduce down to 100 grain for turkey season and hunt with them from now on; we all know that it boils down to personal opions but I really need some feedback from the great folks here; I am leaning towards a mechinical BH but will not rule out a good fixed blade; BH are expensive but want to buy the best there is;

So come on and let me here what you all have got to say; thank you very much;
phil

Re: Broadhead search...need some feedback please

Post by phil »

...a lot of folks out there shoot slick tricks, groups are tight and blood trails are above avg. I personally shoot the thunderhead 100 gr and 125 gr. Killed 5 this yr with them. Furthest ran 45 yds i believe. Not one blade broke or was bent. Groups are tight. I know it can get expensive, but try a few different ones and see which makes you the happiest :D :D
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I use 100 grain Spitfires with no problems.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Boo

Post by Boo »

Any accurate broadhead will work but use a little wire device called the Zwickey Scorpio Small Game Grappler
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Zwickey+S ... eitem.html
It stops pass throughs (and loosing arrows) and gives the birds quite a whack.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo wrote:Any accurate broadhead will work but use a little wire device called the Zwickey Scorpio Small Game Grappler
They don't change poi out to 30 yds either, even though they weigh about 20 gr. Also, if using an Emax, forget about them, arrow still blows on through the bird, just ruins the Grappler and more meat.

I had a problem w/ them sliding up the shaft onto my vanes in flight. Drove me nuts for awhile, finally think it was the new GT shafts being .007" smaller O.D. and went from 22/64" to 21/64" Grapplers for them. Used a rubber 'O' ring until I finally figured it out [w/ help here, btw].
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:
Boo wrote:Any accurate broadhead will work but use a little wire device called the Zwickey Scorpio Small Game Grappler
They don't change poi out to 30 yds either, even though they weigh about 20 gr. Also, if using an Emax, forget about them, arrow still blows on through the bird, just ruins the Grappler and more meat.

I had a problem w/ them sliding up the shaft onto my vanes in flight. Drove me nuts for awhile, finally think it was the new GT shafts being .007" smaller O.D. and went from 22/64" to 21/64" Grapplers for them. Used a rubber 'O' ring until I finally figured it out [w/ help here, btw].
Dan, got any chickens that need to be made into food? Might be interesting for our visit with you! LOL! But then again my wife would not be impressed!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo wrote:
awshucks wrote:

Dan, got any chickens that need to be made into food? Might be interesting for our visit with you! LOL! But then again my wife would not be impressed!

Lol, are you referring to my 'test rooster'? [20 yds, Ecet 100 gr Slick on GT w/ grappler, the buzzard did one flip and was dead before he hit the dirt. Picture perfect!] Screw the chickens, let's go to Ok and gig a pig, I can use the pork.
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Oink oink reakkkkk! murtt murtt, :lol: gig a pig !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have never hunted turkey with my Excalibur, but I would look at the "turkey specific" broadheads on the market. There are a few that are designed to inflict a massive would and not penetrate excessively.
Any good hunting broadhead will work, but my hunting buddy found out that sometimes the bird can escape before it dies if the arrow blows right through.
(he shot one with a G-5 Montec, and I found what was left of it the next day, but the coyotes found it first)
wabi
ghglenn

Post by ghglenn »

Here is something interesting to check out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Shot placement is the key for turkeys. Expandable's are a great choice for turkeys. NAP makes a spitfire thats for turkeys. Its a good choice i have taken several turkeys (not with xbow) with this head. After deer hunting with my xbow this past season. The spitfire maxx put's deer down fast. I will be turkey hunting with the NAP heads this spring and next fall. The heads i use are both 100gr.And have the same poi with each other and field tips.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i know some that have shot the rage bheads into turkeys and had great luck! Im sticking with my rage 3 blade heads. Love them and field point accuracy!
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

I don't have any suggestions for use on turkeys, but I am satisfied with my broadheads for deer.

I have had good experiences with the Wasp 3-blade Hammer SSTs. Shot a nice 9-point through the spine and lodged in his rear leg bone. No damage to the broadhead other than dulled the blades. I was always leary about using the small-cut broadheads, but I have had nothing but good results from these. $36 for a 6-pack and $14 for the replacement blades. Hard to beat those prices in today's market.