Winter camping in a canvas tent.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Winter camping in a canvas tent.

Post by Pydpiper »

Picked up a canvas tent on our trading post, set it up yesterday for a trial run. I slept in it last night with my son and his cousin, we had a blast!
We do a whole lot of winter camping, usually in a typical nylon summer tent and a whole lot of chemical warmers, I don't see us pitching anymore nylon tents! The kids and I sat on the snow covered ground last night in t-shirts telling jokes, at times it would get so hot we would have to open the door to let cool air inside. I have some work to do in learning how to balance the heat in that thing.
We are looking forward to trekking in to nowhere land now as a family and setting up for a few days deep in the woods. :D

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
NewGuy

Re: Winter camping in a canvas tent.

Post by NewGuy »

looks like a blast!!
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

nice set up
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

They have Civil War reenactments here . . .looks like you could join the actors. Well, you might need to grow a beard, , get some wartime clothes, stop bathing for a few weeks and add forty pounds . . .at least you have the tent. :D

Looks like fun!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

Pyd: Bought one a few years ago for moose hunting. Have had great experiences in it and enjoy it very much. I see that you have the metal pole frame for it. I started out without the poles and used tree poles that I cut on site. Saved them from year to year. Once purchased the poles , it is so much easier to put up --- in fact you can do it alone whereas with the tree poles I found it requires more hands.
I chose to put the chimney out through the end wall. I was skeptical of cutting the hole in the roof -- why make an opening for a leak. I think it is less engineering to go through the roof. However as you stated a stove heats it very well --- great for drying clothes after a wet day.
Hope you have as much enjoyment as I.

bbbwb
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I knew this thread was yours just from looking at the title! :D :D :D

Looks awesome! May you all enjoy many many happy adventures in the new digs!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I've spent many, many nights in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in a tent very much like yours. We too had the stovepipe coming out the ends rather than through the roof. In the back of the tent we laid a log from side to side and then put down straw which made excellent insulation for bedding. After a few days we'd fluff up the straw some as it packs down rather quickly but if you get it just right you may never have to re-fluff the straw. I recall several nights with the temperature below zero but we were able to stay warm enough in our tent.

A couple different years there was a couple who put their stove towards the rear of the tent and they actually ran their stovepipe down before going outside and then up. It worked! However I can say that their tent was never as warm as ours. It probably worked just well enough to keep the chill off.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Looks good ! Can you tell me the manufacture, size and cost of the tent ? Also what type of stove your using to heat it ? Ray.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The tent is a Woods Prospector, 10X12, could use a bit bigger though.. I do not know what brand the stove is, but considering weight and other things I can't imagine a big difference among them, I believe it is a Cabellas brand stove, the chimney, legs and other accessories all fit inside the stove for transport.
Cost, well I bought it second hand from a member here, it is in perfect condition just like his ad said it would be. To buy it new with everything it came with, stove, cot, pole kit (it is designed to be pitched with trees), and the stove ring kit it would cost about $1000, I bought it for considerably less.
10X12 isn't all that big, I would think it would be a good fit for one guy and a lot of gear, 2 guys and gear comfortably. If you plan on sticking 4-5 guys in there and they wern't friends when they went in, they sure would be when they came out.
I am confident that my wife, me and our three kids will fit in fine if we bring a smaller tent to store gear while bedding is set up.

As a side note, this is the second business dealing I have had with Chris4570, and the second time I have been more than impressed with the transaction. Chris is the person who custom built the 3-point contact vault door to my gun room, rock solid.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Wow, thanks for the compliment David!!

I have tracked down the cot and will pick it up early next week. It sits off the ground quite a bit so it will allow you to stow gear underneath it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Normous

Post by Normous »

It could double as an Indian Sweat Lodge in the right circumstances.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

10 x 12 is almost the size of our hunt camp up north (10 x 14). Max we've had up there is 4 with bunks & cots. We're grateful for the 8 x 6 bunkie addition that xbowkidd put on for us this fall!

There are cots that stack like bunk beds - might be an option for the kids?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I've summer camped in the Yukon in a tent like that. They are meant for extended camping sessions in one spot. They are bulky and heavy, but are the real ticket. I've also moose hunted in -30 winter weather. We just used 20 pound propane tanks with a sunflower type heater. It was very comfortable ---and safe. The cotton canvas "breathes", so the carbon monoxide escapes and fresh air enters, right through the fabric. This setup takes up less space than a woodstove/heater.

The straw, or hay, on the ground is a very good idea, too. Just throw a canvas tarp over the straw. It'll keep things cleaner---it's a nuisance to get chaff or thistles stuck to you. It's also safer as far as setting fire accidently is concerned, if you keep the straw covered.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Looks similar to what we slept in during winter exercies with the military! Nice and toasty!!!!
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

If we see something like that around here it usually contains around forty illegals! :D