What's the worst hunting head?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: What's the worst hunting head?

Post by Pydpiper »

Rocket Hammerhead stands out in my mind, the only mechanical I have used. They have a habit of exiting the deer with no blades left on them.
A close second is the Crimson Talon hyper speeds.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bob . . .I can without a doubt say the Wasp Boss 3 blade is the worst broadhead I have ever used. There were several things going against the broadhead, so, it may not be as bad as I have labelled it. First of all, they came with the Excalibur Right Stuff package along with my first crossbow, the Exomax. I had been out of archery for a few years and had NEVER shot a crossbow. I was actually scared to shoot the Exomax and had a friend of mine to take the first shot. Funny, right?

Anyway, on to the broadhead. I got pretty good at driving the target tips consistantly into each other in short time. So, I decided it was OK to prepare for the up coming season. The first shot I took with the Wasp Boss hit the target, but, it was a couple of inches off from the field tip. I was only shooting the one broadhead. My second shot almost missed the Block Target altogether. The third shot was way off too and nowhere close to the other two shots. I couldn't see anything wrong with the broadhead, but, it was all over the place. I replaced the blades and shot. I almost hit the hole of the first shot. Anyway, to make a very long story, long . . .after much shooting, I learned . . .the blades could bend slightly when shooting them into the Block Target and the bend could be slight enough not to be see untill the wind hit it. Then it was up to 8 inches off target.

This is why I believe the worst broadheads are the small fixed blade broadheads with thin blades. Not to limit this issue to just the Wasp Boss. I also had a couple of long tracking jobs with the Wasp Boss on solid hits. I accredit this issue to the small cut, 3 blades. I had similiar tracking experience with a small cut mechanical. After that I went big. Size does matter.

David, I had the same experience once with the Hammerheads. The only reason I didn't think it was an issue, the deer dropped in 20 yards. Trophy Ridge has claimed to have fixed that problem. Since then I have taken a few deer with the Stricknines and one with the Hammerhead and the "revised" heads worked perfectly.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Was the hoyt head the chuckit (spelling). It gets my vote for the worst head.
Im with you on you can get most if not all heads to shoot good. If your close to the right spine and put big feathers on it will fly. I look more at what the head does after it hits.One other newer head i had trouble with. Was the grizztrick. It took high back 4" shields to get it to fly.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Worst i ever played with were those sonic things, terrible blades & its junk fer me! 2nd was the 2Blade meat seeker they sent me to try out instead of the Sidewinder. It flys well good accuracy but anything other than an almost true broadside shot it skids won't penetrate! :x
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big John

Post by Big John »

Bob: I'm going to have to get back to you on this one. :wink:
I've tried a vast amount. Some flopped some were good. But the worst, I'm going to go back and re-think. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
maxman

Post by maxman »

Although new to Xbows I have hunted with a vertical bow for 38 years. The ones that stick out in my mind are the Punchcutter mechanical and Satilites. If the punchcutter opened at all there were no blades left when it exited. The Satilite blades were held on by a collar at the base of the broadhead and fell out fairly consistantly on impact.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i have hunted with the punchcutter for 20 years and still have a lot of them the 90grain head .we shot them out of horton crossbows and never ever had a problem with them .i have 7 buddys that to this day still swear by them as do i .thy have to open when thy hit and thy do leave a great exit hole .the closes thing to them now is the rage and i love them to DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

oooopppsss :oops:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
maxman

Post by maxman »

Whatcha gonna do :?
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Grim Reaper the best I've used, not high on Muzzy
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

When I bought my exocet , the wasp cam-locs 3 blade came with the package. After reviewing my kills , hits and misses, I decided that they didn't do the killing job ! Next year I'll be using Rage 3 blade mechanical heads. I've seen the pros on T.V. hit deer high in the back , gut shots and near the rear leg hits. It's 1 1/2 hole seems the key to them bleeding out . The most important fact is to penetrate the vitals but sometime unexpected deer reactions occur ! ! Ray.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

spitfires.. couldnt group.. no pratice head and blades are a PITA to change
had a nice concept though which gave way to other bheads like rage and etc though
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Rage! LOL! Just pulling your leg CF.
The worst was the Wasp Sharpshooter. A cut on contact 4 blade broadhead with a mind of it's own!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

The worst hunting head, I didn't use it but my buddy did.
Easton, the exact name I don't know walmart or Canadian tire sold them.
Fixed head with three blade insert. It is not cut on contact the tip is a cone shape and about as shart as a blunt feild point. He shoot a deer and we were not sure if the bolt hit a tree afterwards but all three blades were broken.
( the shaft was also bent, no eye could mistack that). Didn't find any in the meat though.
I tried to convince him not to use those, (you get what you pay for). Sometimes
they just need to figure it our on they're own.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There is a few, I would like to have the money that was wasted, Puckett bloodtrailers have to be close to the top, hoyt chuckett, punchcuters, these have wounded a lot of animals that weren't found or found to late.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers