At what point is a bow "too fast"?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: At what point is a bow "too fast"?

Post by Pydpiper »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:What will hurt you boys in Can is them looking like a assault weapon which PYD said he liked awhile back, I said it then and now appearance is what going to hurt not the speed of it.

Wes
I still like it, don't get me wrong, that is the soul of this thread, the first paragraph of the first post is all about that bow.
Although I have little faith in our government I highly doubt it will ever be about cosmetics, even the Canadian government isn't that shallow. it will be about 3 numbers, speed, profit and votes.

To be clear, I am licenced and equipped to buy, transport and store any amount of guns or bows. This isn't about me, it is about numbers, bows reaching firearm speeds and how it will affect hunters as a whole, more specifically, Canadians.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

When I was going thru my adult 'BB' gun phase several years ago, sans computer, I noticed there were 'European' models that had ft lb limits, if I'm not mistaken, in England it's 12 ft lbs still.

The .177's could have higher fps due to lighter pellets than .20 or .22 and still stay under the 12 ft lb rule. Going from memory, that was around 650-700 fps w/ 6-8 gr lead pellet.

It would appear your laws are different from that, but I'm curious if you have folks that own both types of airguns now, one needing no paper work and the other treated the same as a firearm, why would xbows be treated any differently? Wouldn't some models [like Excals] likely not need anything and the futuristic over 500 fps xbows treated as guns?
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

"Futuristic", Nice one! :D
There is a bit of background on that, when the bill was passed here in Canada that required us to "register firearms", right up to the very end the term "crossbow" was there, but thanks to some hard work by good people it was removed. So it's not such a left feilder of a concern, it was almost a reality.
They do differenciate between kids BB guns and ones that are faster, but I don't think that's what it will come down to. Every crossbow is cabable of killing, unlike a BB gun. The voting public accociates crossbows with hunting and dead animals, and the Red Ryder BB gun with "Yur gonna shoot yer eye out with that!", and broken windows.
I would love to be proven wrong, but our government is not known for making informed decisions.
awshucks wrote:
It would appear your laws are different from that, but I'm curious if you have folks that own both types of airguns now, one needing no paper work and the other treated the same as a firearm, why would xbows be treated any differently? Wouldn't some models [like Excals] likely not need anything and the futuristic over 500 fps xbows treated as guns?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

smokepolehall wrote:A Scorpyd shooting a 400 gr arrow at 425 fps will give me no more range where i hunt than miss vixen. It will shave a fraction of a second off the reaction time of my tick toter, good fer me! :lol:
I'm sure you were just making a point , but to be fair i just thought i would add that a scorpyd shooting a 350 gr arrow max's out around 385-390 fps. With a 400 gr arrow I'm only pushin em out at 360ish.
Team Dryfire
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Just past the point where the technology bleeds over into Pistol Crossbows that are lethal enough to hunt whitetail. I bet I wouldn't be able to resist Pistol crossbow hunting [I've actually done it, not deer, but that is another story. PM me if interested].

Take care...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

xbowkid, i just posted the speed of the new Scorpyd 165 lb with a 400 gr arrow. Its been tested on chrony fer a fact.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

my apologies, i hadn't even herd about a new model. There's nothing on the site about it. do you know where i can check it out?
Team Dryfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

no need to apoligize my friend, its all good. CBN & AT have pic's & topic posted . Ck it out also on HNI.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Just to answer your question on when is a bow to fast. When people stop buying them that's when you will know they are to fast. 500 fps is the level of registration and it would change things as we know it but I believe thats when it would change people's mind and would not be worth the while producing them. I for one am not a speed freak. I just like good shooters. I have 2 150 lbs excals and 3 compounds and the highest set at 55 lbs. Really no plans on going any higher with anything new that comes out. To much weight and shooting loses it's fun. Just a matter of time before someone comes out with an autococker for crossbows and all that fun stuff.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

These speed threads always get me spun up. I'm not going to bore you folks w/ tales of 50 yrs of stupidity or jack Pyp's thread, but I can well remember going from a recurve in Illinois to a Bnett Commando due to an injury. This was a pathetic little under powered xbow w/ about a 12" stroke, 16 or 17" arrows, two blade bheads. I shot I think 3 deer w/ it from the same downed tree at under 15 yds.

I can remember thinking how I was in high cotton at the time w/ sights and all. No more praying for a good hit. I'm betting it didn't get more than 220-230 fps.

We've come along way since then, haven't we, and the end is no where in sight.
"Eze 18:21"