Scope mount problems.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Scope mount problems.

Post by theoldarcher »

Could someone be so kind as to tell me what the sizes of the screws that hold the scope mount onto the crossbow are? I screwed up and stripped out two of mine and I need to replace them.

Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: Scope mount problems.

Post by vixenmaster »

I believe they're 8/32. The rear one's can be taken up to 10/32. The front mayhave to be helicoiled. Don't tell me you stripped the front 2 out ? Blue loc-tite & let it cure next time.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

smokepolehall wrote:I believe they're 8/32. The rear one's can be taken up to 10/32. The front mayhave to be helicoiled. Don't tell me you stripped the front 2 out ? Blue loc-tite & let it cure next time.
Actually, it was the two on the right side and blue loc tight is why I stripped them out. I was trying to take the mount off and the loc tight wouldn’t let go. After stripping the hex head hole out with the hex wrench, I ended up taking the drimel tool with a cutting wheel and cut a slots in the heads, and used a flat head screwdriver to get them out.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ok so you just stripped out the allen head button screws & not the internal threads to trigger assembly. Had me worried fer a min. New trigger assemblys run about $150 samolians!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have a unconventional way of keeping screws from vibrating loose I have a metal ladle on natural bees wax I melt on the stove and then dip the threads in before mounting works great and does not seize when you want to remove screws.
I also use bees wax on field point and broad head threads but I just rub the threads across a chunk of it and do not bother it melt it for points.
Bee wax is better than candle wax not as slippery .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's a Loc-Tite tip learned the hard way. Get a steel nut what ever thread pitch/diameter size, and 'chase' the threads on screws before applying more or replacing them where they fit.. Old Loc-tite built up on threads and steel screws is not compatible w/ alum.

My one alum thread failure was on a rail. I think I still have the 10-32 Helicoil set up, will fwd to a needy forum member if I can find it. You get way more Helicoils than needed w/ purchase of a pack.
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

I work with loctite every day just like Neil, Lynn and others. I will say there is no reason why this should have happened. I will also say that an investment in some allens in a T handle or better a 1/4" socket form will prevent all this. In socket form and T handle forum the hex can have a good amount of pressure applied to prevent the tendency for the allen to walk out of the fastener. Another suggestion is to use clear nail polish or clear lacquer would give you the same results in locking the threads.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Thanks ya'll.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I worked in a gun shop here in Ft. Worth in the mid seventies,and have shot a LOT since then. I have mounted many,many scopes on every thing from air rifles to magnum pistols to large calibur rifles and some shotguns.The trick that my old boss used to avoid any problems with screws getting stuck or mounts coming loose was silicone caulk as a thread locker.You must clean and degrease both the male threads on the screw and the female threads on the reciever or mount,then apply a small dab on a paper towel or something that you can fold up and throw away when you are finished. Using a toothpick or other small tool fill the threads on the screw.Install these as normal.I have NEVER had a screw come loose in thirty plus years of using this technique,and you can remove them easily. They NEVER sieze up!!!
I havent had any problems with my Exomax in the six months or so that I have had it.However it is the only crossbow that I have mounted a scope on so I dont have much of a test case,as I havent shot it a ton. Maybe this will help someone in the future, I dont know,but just thought I would mention it. It is a lot easier than retapping holes or using a heli-coil,or trying to find screws.You can use regular caulking size tubes,but at your home store they will have a small size(about like a toothpasete tube size) Just make sure it is 100% silicone. Seal the tube up really well when you are through,and after it is opened shelf life of the tube will be about six months.
saxman

Post by saxman »

gerald strine wrote:I have a unconventional way of keeping screws from vibrating loose I have a metal ladle on natural bees wax I melt on the stove and then dip the threads in before mounting works great and does not seize when you want to remove screws.
I also use bees wax on field point and broad head threads but I just rub the threads across a chunk of it and do not bother it melt it for points.
Bee wax is better than candle wax not as slippery .
DITTO
I use wax on most of my threads.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here's a Loc-Tite tip learned the hard way. Get a steel nut what ever thread pitch/diameter size, and 'chase' the threads on screws before applying more or replacing them where they fit.. Old Loc-tite built up on threads and steel screws is not compatible w/ alum.
Or you can put a wire wheel in your drill press. (be sure to set it for high speed)
Hold the screw(s) in your fingers and touch it to the wheel.
Then you can buy new screws after you've launched the old one(s) to parts unknown and they will be clean.
Don't ask, just go ahead and laugh at me - YES, I did it. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi