ot just like most of use start with a cooey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stash

Re: ot just like most of use start with a cooey

Post by Stash »

munch wrote:that would be great let me know what you need for it. this model was not ment to have a scope but i will drill and tap it to mount a base .not sure but i may need a 2 piece so she can load it easy
I don't want anything for it. No use to me - I got a new scope. My Cooey .22 has a built-in rimfire dovetail and this scope has a built-in dovetail mount as well (don't need rings). You'd have to attach a rimfire 3/8" base to the gun. PM me your address and I'll stick it in the mail this week.
image 001.JPG
image 001.JPG (49.97 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
Here's my gun:
image 002.JPG
image 002.JPG (74.7 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I also have a simmons 3-9 scope that came on a new 243. Used it twice and replaced it with a BSA if you want that scope instead. I will send it to you. Don't want anything for it if you can use it.
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

Cool, I just bought a single shot cooey for my daughter for x-mas, Not a mark on it (yet) it has a beutifull honey blonde stock on it. I wrapped a box of 22 shells and put it in the x-mas tree. after all the presents were done i told to look in the tree. She opened it up and looked at me with a weird look on her face and i nodded, she took off running for the gun cabinet, I'm surprised everyone on here didn't hear her squealing, way cool.
TPM

Post by TPM »

For our American friends, Cooey was a gun manufacturer in Cobourg Ontario that sold a lot of .22's, single shot shotguns and even a few centerfire rifles in this country starting in the early 1900's. They were bought out buy Winchester in the early 1960's and were sold as Winchester/Cooeys. I believe the plant was finally shut down in the early 1980's. In the 1960's and 70's a number of the Winchester Model 94 Commemorative's were also made at the Cobourg plant as well as a lot of the Winchester ammunition. Cooey's were popular entry level guns as many of them were single shot .22's and single shot shotguns. They were sold for years at every hardware store and even many department stores which is why they are so popular. They were nothing fancy but they worked and were often quite accurate. You can't go to a gun show around year without tripping over a few old Cooey's. :D
I have one that was sold at the old Eaton's department stores under the name "Eatonia". My father got it for his 16th birthday in 1933 and I learned to shoot on it and my son will probably do the same.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

started my daughter out with a Chipmunk. I think they call them crickets now. nice miniture single shot 22. I still like shooting it.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Now Tim how is there a way to find out the year it was made?
Pretty much impossible to tell the exact year as they weren't serial numbered. There is very little historical info out there that I've found but you can guess what era they were made by things such as stock shape. Most early ones had simple slender, short stocks, later ones had beefier, larger stocks. You can also tell by the quality of wood. As with most guns the earlier ones had walnut stocks of a quality only found on higher end guns these days. Later ones will likely have a lower grade walnut and a glossy finish. Also the font of the stampings changed over the years. I also remember reading once that the very early ones had something like "Cooey Tool Co." stamped on them. I think it was around the 1950's or 60's when they started to cut the double ring around the cocking knob but I could be wrong. Of course anything from 1961 until the early 1980's will also have the Winchester name on them.
There was a book written about the history of Cooey about 15 years ago. I did get to peruse through a copy before it was published but I'm not sure it ever reach mass publication.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger