FIANLLY GOT SIGHTED IN!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wvjason

FIANLLY GOT SIGHTED IN!

Post by wvjason »

I JUST GOT TO REALLY GET MY NEW EQUINOX SIGHTED IN. IT WAS PRETTY COLD OUT AND GETTING THE BOLTS OUT OF THE BLOCK TARGET WAS HARD BUT I GOT SIGHTED IN PRETTY GOOD SO I GUESS I WILL WAIT TILL WARMER WEATHER TO REALLY FINE TUNE IT. PRETTY HAPPY WITH IT SO FAR I ONLY SHOT ABOUT 10 TIMES, ENOUGH TO GET A LITTLE FEEL FOR IT AND I LIKE IT A LOT. SHOOTS EVEN HARDER THAN I EXPECTED!!!! HARD TO BELIEVE HOW IT BURIES UP IN THAT TARGET I HAD TO USE A SMALL PRY BAR TO REACH IN BESIDE THE BOLTS AND OPEN UP THE TARGET TO PULL THEM OUT.I CANT WAIT TO TRY IT OUT ON A DEER NEXT FALL. DO ANY OF YOU USE AND LIKE THE EXCAL BOLTCUTTERS? HOW DO THEY TYPICALLY SHOOT COMPARED WITH THE FIELD POINTS? I AM PLANNING ON TRYING THEM BUT I HAVENT YET. THANKS ALL.....JASON
vixenmaster

Re: FIANLLY GOT SIGHTED IN!

Post by vixenmaster »

Good to hear of getting it sighted in. Boltcutters i used them last yr. Shot inch low & 3/4" right at 20 yds. Comparing them with the 150 gr field pts in pak. So its not too bad, just make sure to sight it in using BH & resharpen it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

wvjson, do you have an arrow puller? http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... row_puller You may want to invest in one if you don't have one. Dan Miller makes one as well: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/a ... rrpull.jpg Don't quote me on this but I think that Dan sells them for about $15.00.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! Danny Miller's arrow puller and or some arrow lube will make life easier.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

Welcome to Excalibur first thing you want to do is get a back up string fast the serving don't last that long. so here a good fix to make it last a lot longer. try-served your equinox with halo braid - .030 this work very well I shoot equinox my self i love it i took two deer this year with it 40 and 45 yards shots so it is deadly at all ranges . i been shooting the spitfire xp proserie but not a big fan of mechanical broadheads even that they did work good for me but reading a lot on diff broadhead here i think i'm going to try slick trick 125 gr. when i pull my arrows out lol i take a softball and tap the nock then pull them out ez lol with carbon arrows
Last edited by EZKILL on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Very cold out today for shooting. Just came in myself from shooting my bow in the backyard. 30 shots in minus 12 degrees celcius and 7 inchs of fresh snow today. BBBBRRRRR!!!!!! Arrows are definatly harder to pull out.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congrats on the Excalibur & getting it sighted in!

I'd suggest the arrow puller, too. I have one of Dan Miller's, and it makes it easy. Grip the arrow, rotate it 1/4 turn, and pull straight out. You'll damage arrows pulling by hand if you aren't careful.
wabi
wvjason

Post by wvjason »

RAY I THINK I WILL GET A BAG TARGET TO SHOOT FIELD TIPS IN. WITH A BAG TARGET I SHOULDENT NEED A PULLER SHOULD I ?
wvjason

Post by wvjason »

GUYS WOULD I BE BETTER OFF TO GO AHEAD AND GET A BOO STRING? SECOND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO USE THE BOLTCUTTERS, ONCE THE EXUINOQ IS SIGHTED IN FOR THEM WILL IT GROUP THEM WELL? I UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL HAVE TO RE SIGHT THE SCOPE FOR THEM BUT I JUST WONDERED WHO ALL COULD TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT AS FAR AS GROUPING WITH THEM GOES? THANKS GUYS.....JASON
wabi

Post by wabi »

Jason,
The bag target is best for field tips - no arrow puller needed.

I'd wait a while before I used anything but the string that comes with the bow. It's a dacron string and a bit more forgiving than a fastflight string in the event of a dryfire.

There is a learning curve to shooting a crossbow, and a dryfire is a good possibility during that process. Learn to establish a routine for shooting!
Cock the bow - flip the safety ON - load an arrow!
If you aren't ready to load an arrow, or are being distracted by someone - do not cock the bow!
The only exception I make to this process is if I'm getting ready to climb into a tree stand. In that case I cock the bow and flip the safety on, but leave the arrow off the rail until I'm in the stand.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used them to take a decent 6 pt last yr. They shoot good groups 2" out to 40 yds from my phoenix. You don't want to shoot 3 at one dot! If you do then you will have messed up BH's cause they will hit each other
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

You need yourself a good bag target such as the Buckmasters 180. Walmart has them for $25.00 or a bag or rags. You will have no problem pulling out a broadhead or fieldpoint. Congrats on you Equinox, you bought the best lol. Im somewhat bias. :lol: :lol: :roll: I wish you luck with the boltcutters. I shoot 100 gr spitfires they group the same as my fieldpoints.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

fyi I have shot the pheonix into a bag no problems ...my buddy had an equinox an was putting them threw the bag ...ruined a few fletching on his bolts ...

[quote="wvjason"]GUYS WOULD I BE BETTER OFF TO GO AHEAD AND GET A BOO STRING? SECOND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO USE THE BOLTCUTTERS, ONCE THE EXUINOQ IS SIGHTED IN FOR THEM WILL IT GROUP THEM WELL? I UNDERSTAND THAT I WILL HAVE TO RE SIGHT THE SCOPE FOR THEM BUT I JUST WONDERED WHO ALL COULD TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT AS FAR AS GROUPING WITH THEM GOES? THANKS GUYS.....JASON[/quote]
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

i have the morrells yellow jacket bag target and with the equinox still dont have any problem with the arrows going in the same spot. always 1 hand pull out. target cost $50 at cabelas
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

I have two Buckmaster 180 sack targets and have shot the h@#@ out of them with a '09 Equinox and have never shot through one. For the price you can't beat them.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.