Longer Turkey Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

picasso

Longer Turkey Season

Post by picasso »

I'm very excited that here in Quebec, our turkey hunting season has doubled in length. For those of you that are unaware, Quebec, has never had to my knowledge, a program to reintroduce wild turkey that were once native to this area. We relied on turkey programs from the northern U.S. and Ontario to get the overflow from those programs.
Last year's season was 5 days from half hour before sunrise until noon.
I was successful last year and I can hardly wait until it starts this year.

Picasso
dutchhunter

Re: Longer Turkey Season

Post by dutchhunter »

thats cool .it is somthing that gets most of us worked up and looking for spring .good to hear that the birds are doing good in your area .we strted with the same kind of seasons down here and this year we had are first fall hunt .so you got lots of good hunting to look forward to .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats to my northern brothers and sisters for thier extended season.
I am gearing up for spring turkey already.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

some sightings in my area but no real numbers or season yet ...still have to travel south here ...
picasso

Post by picasso »

I remember that it was about four years ago that we started to see the turkeys around here and then BOOM...they were everywhere! While deer hunting late in the season last fall, I counted 21 hens together that walked right by my stand, including a very light greyish colored henthat is considered albino.
About three weeks ago my friend saw about 50 hens together milling about on his farm property. I not sure if he actually counted 50, but it was a lot anyway.
I'm very anxious! :D
Picasso
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

In the last 6 months I went from never seeing them around my hunting area to seeing around 100 of them. We still didn't see them by our deer stands though. But we're taking our turkey course next month and I've got some good spots already lined up for the turkey season.

To the OP: It would be nice if Quebec would participate in the program instead of just benefitting from others. I thought that you guys had re-introduced turkey a while back. I guess I was mistaken.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

All deer season there were about 50 on the property that we hunt and they are still there. Should make for a good spring hunt. I'll have to get some of the coyotes before. Hope I'll have time to with my new job though.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Imagine that if you saw 50 or 100 on the property that you hunt that most every year after the population should increase as long as the conditions are right. :D
It is shameful that the government here did not jump on the bandwagon with our neighbors to help reintroduce the wild turkeys that were once native to these parts. :|
This season, like last season, I'll be using a shotgun to try to get my bird. I don't think that I am skilled enough yet with my Xbow to attempt a turkey hunt.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Hey Phoenix Tom, I noticed that you are eastern Ontario. Should I assume that you are in the Alexandria area. If so, we're practically neighbors. I live about 15 minutes west of the Ontario border in Hudson,Q.C.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I'm closer to Ottawa. Anything from Ottawa / Brockville going east is considered eastern Ontario. But I know your area. Every time I pass through there I can't help but wonder about the deer / moose and now turkey that must be around there. You must have some great hunting around there!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
picasso

Post by picasso »

I would say that the hunting is ok....especially being where we are. It still amazes me that there could be wildlife like deer, turkey and coyotes so close to an urban setting. The animal wildlife is very adaptive.
picasso

Post by picasso »

dutchhunter wrote:thats cool .it is somthing that gets most of us worked up and looking for spring .good to hear that the birds are doing good in your area .we strted with the same kind of seasons down here and this year we had are first fall hunt .so you got lots of good hunting to look forward to .DUTCH
Just to get somewhat of an idea...when did the fall hunt start in respect to the first season of turkey hunting?