Scope or Red dot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

capt hook

Scope or Red dot

Post by capt hook »

Well I picked my crossbow "Vortex".now which one is the better Red Dot or a Varizone scope ....or what else could I use remember I never done this kinda hunting so a push in the right direction
would be good help ......Hook
Boo

Re: Scope or Red dot

Post by Boo »

For the money the Varizone is pretty hard to beat!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The varizone will give you more options for its power & speed than a single red dot can. Now if can can see the red dot well & not going to shoot past 30 yds a single red dot is hard to beat. Its not any good fer 3-D shooting
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I've had both red dots and crosshair scopes on my CB's. My vote is for the crosshair. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I really like that bit of magnification you get with the Excal scopes. I know there are some deals out there on the Varizones for $79 plus shipping. I just bought another Lumizone that I paid $108 plus shipping. I personally like the Lumizone a little better.
liaf

Post by liaf »

Boo wrote:For the money the Varizone is pretty hard to beat!
Very True as that is what I started out with on my phoenix. I had a red dot lying around tried it and found out I liked it better when it came to shooting my bow. Now realize that i have a fairly expensive red dot on both my bows but it appears that the one that excal sells with their bows should do app. the same job. If you have a vortex a single red dot should be good to about 40 yards if your using the stock firebolt arrows with 100 grain heads. Total weight about 375 grains. I aslo like my red dot sight since it is pretty light in weight. Try the vari-zone and if you want to experiment then pick up the red dot that xcal sells in their package. Good luck in you quest.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Another vote for varizone. If you want illumination than the lumizone. Both great scopes made for your bow with warranty that is second to none.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Vari-Zone scope on my Phoenix, but for deer hunting I DO NOT use the range marks in the scope!
I limit my shots to 30 yards or less (most are much less) and within that range there is no need for the range marks. A sight-in with the crosshair (or dot) on at 25 yards will keep the arrow trajectory within ±3" from 0 - 30 yards on most Excaliburs (minimum weight arrows at 285+ fps), and a "center of kill zone" hold will = a dead deer.
For target shooting the Vari-Zone allows me to hit target out to 55 yards (with my 25 yard zero the range marks are good for 15 - 35 -45 -55), but for hunting I just use the crosshair so there is less to have to think about.
wabi
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

One Shot has a good point re illumination. I love my red dot, but in low light conditions it is darker than normal vision, sooo... something to consider. ;)
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I have the lumizone on my Exomax which is really good for low light situations like in the bush early morning and late evening hunts.My Exocet has a red dot for open lighted hunting such as field edges I guess I have the best of both worlds :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Varizone over the red dor for me . Light gathering abilities of the varizone are a plus vs the red dot . No batteries to let you down . The Varizone also beats out the red dot for more precise shot placement . Then top it off with Excalibur warranty .
KBW

Post by KBW »

VARIZONE 50 YARDS PLUS :D WORKS WELL THATS WHATS ON MY VORTEX 8)
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The lumi gets my vote one thing that has not been mentioned is the built in walking Deer lead with the Excalibur scopes is also a nice feature.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
secret

Post by secret »

Put me down for a lumi-zone.....love it!.... never a single problem.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string