String travel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

casper

String travel

Post by casper »

Just did a test on my Equinox today, I put chap stick on the riser to see how far forward the string traveled, and it hits hard on the vertical surface. There is serving marks in the chap stick where it made contact. I think I know why my fff. string didn't twang as much. I had the excel. string on for the test, I just feel safer with that string. I guess it's time for some kind of (whopper stopper). I.E. sts. Maybe I'll just make something. :D :D :D Almost forgot to mention the brace height is just short of the high mark. :D
vixenmaster

Re: String travel

Post by vixenmaster »

Its all that excess power from those big poundage CB's, thats why i shoot a vixen :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I was shooting my Vortex this weekend and could see that my string is hitting the back of the riser also.
Is there a risk of this damaging the string?? Perhaps I should look into an STS as well?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

vixenmaster wrote:Its all that excess power from those big poundage CB's, thats why i shoot a vixen :lol:
X2

Like my Vixen but more times than not I use my 92 wolverine. Lend out my Vixen to my father to use cause he is more comfortable with the shorter stock. (87 years young). Just something in my mind that makes me want to be different than everyone else. I am not a speed freak in anything I shoot but go for depenability. Have no intentions of ever going to shoot an elephant or anything like that. hehehe Like the idea of getting thousand shots from a stock string. Friend makes them for me for 12 dollars each. Why would one change to something that is going to be harder on equipment and just cost me more to maintain. If you are happy and content with what you are shooting God bless you and that's all that matters. My jury is still out on STS. May take stress out of the string but as anything where does it go to. Has to add the stress somewhere it is not intended to be by the manufacturer. Instead of the string does it go to the limbs? This is my opinion only and not up for debate because I will change no ones opinion on the matter as no one will change my beliefs. I believe you pound a braodhead into the ground with a 225LBS will do more damage to the broadhead than 150LBS. But having a 65 year old back in a 50 year old man, it requires me to go with less poundage anyways.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Had the same experience with a Vortex and have since switched to a Phoenix also have a set of stoppers on it to try and protect the string from any extra wear.
Put the stoppers on, saw a guy dry fire with them on and it didn't blow up or damage the limbs any.
Good investment, if I had to buy only one accs for my bow that would be it.
Tenpoint Matrix
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There is a thread on here about string travel, showed what it did when shot, I couldn't find it but I know it's here, the sts is really a must for anyone who shoots alot.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

CR Crossbow Review site shows the Excal string when shot in slow motion. Yup those higher poundage models show lots of power. Like wheelie said about his back & mine too having been cut on couple times. Fer me its smaller Excal models & i have plenty of cuttin power on deer & hogs & such. Its a great day here as i woke up this morning & have coffee going on my wood stove. :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Thus the reason there are string stoppers on ALL my bows...compound included.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!