Turkey hunting tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Turkey hunting tips

Post by VixChix »

Lets post some favorite turkey hunting tips and tricks here! :D

Since I'm new to turkey hunting (2nd season) I'm posting this link to some tips I found on The Women's Outdoor News:
http://womensoutdoornews.com/2010/04/ca ... ting-tips/

I like the tip about the clear nail polish - I can do that! :lol:

Anyone else care to share?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ecoaster

Re: Turkey hunting tips

Post by ecoaster »

I have seen it work each year I have tried it..........

If the bird is gobbling but hangs up out of sight, give him a few calls, but once it is evident he is playing hard to get, stop calling. It is really hard to do especially if he goes silent, but trust me, if he goes silent he is usually working his way over to see why the hen went quiet.

It requires patience and strong will not to call to him because you will be unsure of where he is, but it has worked for me a number of times.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

the best tip i can give is when you want to move or quit .give it another half hour .when i first started hunting turkeys in 1994 and since then it has happened to me many times as i am getting up to leave . i see a bird and spook it .thy do not have to be makeing noise to be coming in to your set up .so sit still and wait .the turkeys are out there all day thy do not pick up and leave the county at 10am or noon .thy can be shot all day and time .so just hang in there DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

dutchhunter wrote:the best tip i can give is when you want to move or quit .give it another half hour .when i first started hunting turkeys in 1994 and since then it has happened to me many times as i am getting up to leave . i see a bird and spook it .thy do not have to be makeing noise to be coming in to your set up .so sit still and wait .the turkeys are out there all day thy do not pick up and leave the county at 10am or noon .thy can be shot all day and time .so just hang in there DUTCH
X2
The best things in life are not things!!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Get out , get out , get out and get out more !

I told one of my buddies yesterday ...
( he's been stallin = " too much rain " , or " too far to drive " )

" You can't get em sittin at home ! " :lol: :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Soft clucks and purrs will work 1000 times better than hammering out yelps on a call any day of the season.

I tree yelp before flydown...and will ONLY yelp if I'm fighting a hen and she's cutting and yelping on me or if I'm sure the hens have gone to the nest and the gobblers are looking for another 'playmate'. As soon as I get a response, no more yelping.
secret

Post by secret »

When using a fullstrut decoy...always face the decoy at a slight angle towards you..gobblers always look the decoy in the eyes.thus giving you a perfect shot with crossbow. put decoys no further than 10yrds from blind... nice chip shot!!! wear black!!!!!! facemask too....limb covers if you can!!! if its raining go in the middle of fields...they be there soon! call soft....call not so often. be quite in blinds [sound echos]
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Get out and hunt!
Every morning when my watch starts vibrating at 4:45 I hear "you can't get them siting at home", and truer words have never been spoken.
All the decoys, calls and techniques don't do an ounce of good if they are in the garage.
Let the grass grow for an extra day, bring the kid, get up a little earlier, sneak out after dinner for an hour, just get out and hunt!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bucont

Post by bucont »

Great bunch of tips.

I do the same with the Tom decoy, quarter him into the blind at about 12 to 15 yards. The hen first billing at 15 to 18 yards broadside.
Over the last two seasons I have come to really like a mouth call in combination with soft calls on slate.
I don't know why it works but I'll keep it up until the birds tell me different.

One more, I hunt a large open meadow we call the hay field. I have setup all over it but have found the we need setup on the highest ground in the meadow. It improves the sight line of birds to decoys from every where in meadow.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

dutchhunter wrote:the best tip i can give is when you want to move or quit .give it another half hour .when i first started hunting turkeys in 1994 and since then it has happened to me many times as i am getting up to leave . i see a bird and spook it .thy do not have to be makeing noise to be coming in to your set up .so sit still and wait .the turkeys are out there all day thy do not pick up and leave the county at 10am or noon .thy can be shot all day and time .so just hang in there DUTCH

This one worked for me this morning.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

If a bird hangs up try calling out the back of the blind. I like to change calls different tones. Make him think theres several birds around. Something else i do is if i do a fly down cackle i take my gloves off. Hold them in one hand by the wrist band. And slap them against my leg and chest. Sounds like a hen flying down.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

VixChix wrote:Lets post some favorite turkey hunting tips and tricks here! :D

Since I'm new to turkey hunting (2nd season) I'm posting this link to some tips I found on The Women's Outdoor News:
http://womensoutdoornews.com/2010/04/ca ... ting-tips/

I like the tip about the clear nail polish - I can do that! :lol:

Anyone else care to share?
I'm glad I went and read the article. When I saw the clear nail polish mentioned I just figured it was a tip to wear clear nail polish when hunting instead of bright red or something like that. Silly me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads