O / T Lake Ontario Browns.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

O / T Lake Ontario Browns.

Post by catcher »

Well we hit the big water yesterday. It was as calm as glass out on Lake Ontario and we decided to go for some of those beautiful Brown Trout that lerk the shallows this time of year. Set the planner boards out with some spoons in 14 feet of water close to shore and set the speed to 2.6 mph and hoped for some luck. We managed to get two Browns in the back of my boat and lost one. These are some beautiful fish and are my new favorite fish to catch. And I got some nice fillets for the BBQ for tonights dinner.

Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Hazmat

Re: O / T Lake Ontario Browns.

Post by Hazmat »

Nice Looking Fish!

Where were you fishing?
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
catcher

Post by catcher »

Hazmat wrote:Nice Looking Fish!

Where were you fishing?

We launched out of Wellington in Prince Edward county. And what a day it was so calm out absolutely no waves it was awesome.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Very nice!
Crispy
secret

Post by secret »

Good catch!!!!! Do you eat those fish? I fish up there and the locals call everything out of Ontario.."enemy food"....they wont even feed there dogs any fish from that lake! Out of all the great lakes Ontario is the most polluted lake....Heavy metals pcbs[love canal] think about all pollution goes through the great lakes ...over the falls....down the Niagara river.....into lake Ontario to settle..minnows eat the infected insects....fish eat the minnows...Ontario is 24 times more polluted than Erie. just saying..i fished up there for 25 years never keep fish.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I used to fish when I lived in Alberta, but since I moved to Ontario in '86 I haven't. I personally don't enjoy catch & release fishing as a sport, and I wasn't entirely sure how safe it was to eat Ontario fish. Having said that, I'm getting to that age where I'm not sure it matters much anymore! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
huntman

Post by huntman »

secret wrote:Good catch!!!!! Do you eat those fish? I fish up there and the locals call everything out of Ontario.."enemy food"....they wont even feed there dogs any fish from that lake! Out of all the great lakes Ontario is the most polluted lake....Heavy metals pcbs[love canal] think about all pollution goes through the great lakes ...over the falls....down the Niagara river.....into lake Ontario to settle..minnows eat the infected insects....fish eat the minnows...Ontario is 24 times more polluted than Erie. just saying..i fished up there for 25 years never keep fish.
Im with you i fish the rivers coming off Lake Ontario every Spring and Fall and I wouldn"t eat a fish if you paid me.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Did I eat one. Heck yes. The guide to eating Ontario sport fish says I am aloud 3 meals a month. I eat one a year. There was more chemicals in the whopper with cheese I had the other day for lunch :lol: For the size of fish and the age they are fine to eat. You would not beleive the amount of people that come from all over the world to fish in my area for trophy walleye ten plus pounds. That are ten twelve years old from lake Ontario and they keep every one. Now you might be making a risk there. It was tasty right off the bbq with a bit of butter and salt and pepper and a bit of dill.

Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I read somewhere it is recommended to remove the belly flaps and discard as most heavy metals are concentrated in the fat lining the abdominal cavity. I eat huron and erie fish from time to time and have just gotten into the habit of getting rid of that portion of the fillet.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
wabi

Post by wabi »

Those look like some nice fish!
I like the "before" and "after" pics, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat a meal after seeing the "after" pic. :lol:
Seems like there is some kind of advisory for about any body of water anymore. :(
Our local lake has an advisory for mercury content in bluegill & bass - no more than 1 meal per month. I talked to our local wildlife officer about it and he told me you could eat a meal a day for a month and still not have dangerous levels in your body, the low consumption recommendation by the DNR is just a safety to keep the state out of legal trouble in this lawsuit crazy society.
wabi