spooked deer by trail camera

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

spooked deer by trail camera

Post by warningshot »

i had left my camera on video mode by accident ....this buck returned a few nights later and wasn't bothered too much by the camera but may just set it up to take daytime pics

vixenmaster

Re: spooked deer by trail camera

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup sometimes they do that, but if cam is left there, they get used to them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I don't see anything????

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by secret »

I dont see anything too!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I saw it. Deer gone in a flash so to speak.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

For some reason its hard to see it if the video plays at its own speed, but if you "rewind" it you can make out a deer springing out of there in the first part of the video.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Open it in a new window and there's a young buck and date that I can't see from simply clicking on the embedded video!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by B-Logger »

I used to think it was all bull about deer becoming afraid of the camera and especially the flash. No more! I've seen too many (bucks only, not does) spook just when they saw the camera.

Another thing I quickly learned was on the larger bucks especially. Going over the many pictures from previous years I'd usually get a nice buck or two.....but then I realized I was getting only one picture of them. Then I bought an IR camera and that fall I started getting multiple pictures of the bigger bucks.

This is not to say one can not get multiple pictures of a big buck because it does sometimes happen. I had 2 last year that I got twice on the regular cam and it surprised me, so it can happen. But overall, you will get more buck pictures using an IR trail cam.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've found the shutter click really bothers them here, like a noisy safty, the flash I think they get use to like lighting, how ever with that being said I've gotten them with both types of cams. I could'nt find anything in that pic either?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

the original video was very clear but when i put it on photo bucket you just see the deer there and then gone.....try dragging the play to slow it down ..you even see the tail in the air.....he was back a few days later looked at the cam and then continued on
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Looks to me cam needs to be adjusted down, pointing up into the tree to high, just what I think

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

video works fine here... you have to manually move the scroll to see it though. Thats going to be a decent buck also and more or less the reason he picked out that camera so fast. Older deer will bust them much quicker!

as for flash or IR.. its stories that both spook deer. I find the usually reason most deer are spooked is NOT by the camera, its by you checking the camera. Deer pick up on your scent and scent where you touch trees and the camera. Thats the biggest factor in whether a mature deer returns. I try to check mine midday or RIGHT before a rain. I also dont check weekly or daily like some do. I leave mine out for 2weeks to 1month before checking. Unless its a field edge where I can drive up to and deer are use to me and the farm equipment.

Ive got doe on camera spooked by flash and ive got doe on camera spooked by the red glow. ive actaully found that the deer seem more spooked by the RED glow that IR's give off since its more of a SLOW glow. The flash is instant and most deer are blinded by or dont even realize it. Both cameras can spook deer but its without a doubt that human activity in that woods or area does more harm than the camera does. Leave a camera out for 1-2months and then see what goodies you have on it;) You would be surprised

mature deer roam alot and its rare to get them more than once in a picture at night. Its hard enough getting a shot the whole season at one.

one tip, place a camera off the trail so its not flashing RIGHT into their face or in their direct line of travel
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Well to me, going to the camera on the atv is a no-brainer. The deer are not spooked when I am on the atv at all. Many times they will just lay and watch me if I am fairly close. Sometimes they might stand and watch and then lay back down. So the only place I have to be careful with the scent is on the camera and that small area around the tree.

I also agree you will get mixed results....always. However, overall the more mature bucks will react much different than the yearlings most of the time. And you will also get a few dumb mature deer. They are no different than cows in this respect. Having grown up around milk cows and beef cattle one just takes it as normal that each one has its own personality. Other animals are the same; they have certain traits, but they are each different.

It's sort of like what happened to me one time in late winter. I went into an area where there were lots of deer bedded where they got some afternoon sun. They all just laid right there and watched me go through with the atv. Later when I came back some of them got a bit antsy and got up and ran.....right in front of me. If memory serves me, there were over 20 deer. The first half ran at a fair pace; not all out but not taking their time either. Some others just stood and watched as if wondering what was wrong? They all eventually left (I had stopped) but the last six deer walked right in front of me as if I were a statue. They did look at me before starting to walk but then walked very calmly. So why did some run and others not? Different personalities and perhaps some saw me more than others so were more used to me. I don't know but I do know I see deer a lot here on and off the atv and most of them act differently. I notice the same thing when hunting.

My point is that you just can not make a blanket statement on what a certain type of deer will do. Sometimes you'll be right and the next time they might make you out to be a fool.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

B-Logger wrote: My point is that you just can not make a blanket statement on what a certain type of deer will do. Sometimes you'll be right and the next time they might make you out to be a fool.

90% of the time, its the fool out of you part LOL.. thats why we love hunting 8) :lol:
roly

Post by roly »

I have noticed that the mature bucks only give me a pic. once
They never have been on a card again, the only common factor
is the flash. Get hundreds of pics of does and spikes in a week
but never more than one pic of a mature buck.
I hope to get a IR cam to see if the big bucks will return .
I'm not saying this is the way it is for all, just what we have noticed.