Dutch oven

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big John

Dutch oven

Post by Big John »

Hey guys: I got a hold of a couple dutch ovens. However they have not been used for a long, long, long time.
Probably stored in a garage. They are in good shape, but need work before I would eat out of them. :wink:
They are almost a rusty color. What can I do to get them usable?
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
one shot scott

Re: Dutch oven

Post by one shot scott »

Wow John, your title really misled me! My version of a Dutch oven is something much,much different! :lol:

What Is a Dutch oven?? Im even of Dutch descent and have no idea.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ahh. I just googled it. I was thinking of this explation. Now I know theres a cooking pot called that as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven ... ical_joke)
dutch oven is a fart chamber (a contained area of flatulence) created by pulling a blanket over someone's head and farting. The phrase is a slang description based on the cooking action of a Dutch oven where food is cooked and steamed inside a closed chamber. Performing a Dutch oven creates an area of foul-odored air in an enclosed space that must be breathed in.[1] This is done as a prank or by accident to one's sleeping partner.[2][3]

Contents [hide]
1 Etiquette
2 Popular usage
3 See also
4 References

There are far too many jokes about us dutchies :roll:
Last edited by one shot scott on Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

John, I'm not so sure you can make those good enough to use for cooking. The rust is the killer on this one. But if there is a way, I'd surely like to know what it is.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ok, Ok, I need to redeem myself from these shenanigans. I found this John, I hope it helps
http://www.ehow.com/how_4897243_clean-c ... -oven.html
Big John

Post by Big John »

Thanks oneshot, I'll try that one first.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would try a wire wheel in a drill to get the rust off if it's really bad. You want a smooth cooking surface when you are finished! I have salvaged a rusty old skillet by brushing with the wire wheel, then spraying it down with the vegetable oil that comes in spray cans (for a good complete/even coat) for the first seasoning step. I prefer good old fashioned lard for the actual seasoning.
wabi
AHBH

Post by AHBH »

The dutch oven is a very popular cooking utensil in south africa and anyone who has hunted here would have seen them at the campfire in which a "stew" called potjiekos consisting of meat and veg, or "mieliepap" (corn porridge) or even bread is baked. We use the three legged type as well as the flat bottomed one. We even use them on gasstoves because once it is heated well and the food is cooking you can set the flame low to let it cook slowly.
To clean it out cook it up with a lot of potato peels or any vegetable waist. I oiled my pot but after not using it for a while the oil formed a sticky residue that had to be removed before being used. I got the tip to store it with crumpled newspaper inside with the lid on as this will absorb the moist and prevent it from rusting. There are cured pots also available that will be ruined if you use a wire brush on it.
The dutch oven on a fire gives the food a special taste and just typing this makes my mouth water :lol:
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Deleted
Last edited by DaGriz on Fri May 21, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

I had a rusty old dutch oven once. Simple as pie to fix.

Build a fire.

Cook the dutch oven upside down on the fire so that the fire is in contact with the inside of the dutch oven.

Let it cook for a while.

Then do the same thing for the outside.

Once that's done let it cool down.

Brush it with one of those bulldog type scrubbies with no detergent.

Rinse thoroughly and dry it out.

If there is still rust...cook it again.

Once it's rust free...you'll need to season the castiron again, as you've pretty much brought it back to un-seasoned state.

Follow these instructions (I would repeat a couple of times to make sure it is well seasoned)
Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. (It is okay to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the cookware).

Rinse and dry completely.

Apply a thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware (inside and out).

Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any dripping.

Set oven temperature to 350 – 400 degrees F.

Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven.

Bake the cookware for at least one hour. After the hour, turn the oven off and let the cookware cool in the oven.

Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.
Once this is done, just never, never, never...wait did I say never? Never use soap...just hot water and dry on the stove or fire.

I love cast iron... :mrgreen:
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Deleted
Last edited by DaGriz on Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

LOL. All of the above just don't use soap.