Taking a non-hunter with you (FYI & Question)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Taking a non-hunter with you (FYI & Question)

Post by ninepointer »

My wife (Queen Bee on this forum) wants to tag along with me on some deer hunts (i.e. sit next to me in a blind or tree stand) before she gets her hunting license. But if we ever encounter a Conservation Officer on one of our outings, we can expect that the C.O. will ask Queen Bee a lot of questions to determine if she in any way engaged in "hunting", as per the definition in the Provincial regulations. A C.O. acquaintance of mine told me that these situations are always judgement calls in the field.

Have any of you ever taken a non-hunting partner (spouse, child, relative, friend, etc.) with you on a hunting excursion where you've found yourself having to explain things to The Law?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DirtyGun

Re: Taking a non-hunter with you (FYI & Question)

Post by DirtyGun »

I've never run into a C.O. when I have taken non-hunters out to 'spectate'. I guess it would be a judgement call for them to determine whether or not the 'spectator' was 'actively participating in the hunt'.

I guess if you taught your wife the line of: "I was told to sit there, shut up and do nothing but watch," it may convince the C.O. enough. :wink:
lscha

Post by lscha »

There should not even be a question if there is only one weapon and one license.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Over the years I have taken wife , 8 year old nephew , and other non-hunters to the blind for ducks. Ontario hunting entails the act of disturbing game from their natural habits ; such as feeding. Our area CO informed us that the non-licensed person must walk behind the hunter and not flush any game. At no time can the non-hunter be in possession of a firearm. Ray.
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

Ninepointer go to the MNR site then enforcment and look up FAQ? That issue is addressed there. Yes you can as long as she is not actively taking part in the hunt just as xbhntr said. She can walk with you and be part of the hunt as long as she is not actively hunting. Tell her to take her camera along. I have took some of my iriends with me to my ground blind and the have sat with their camera and got great shots.

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

swiftfox wrote:Ninepointer go to the MNR site then enforcment and look up FAQ? That issue is addressed there. Yes you can as long as she is not actively taking part in the hunt just as xbhntr said. She can walk with you and be part of the hunt as long as she is not actively hunting. Tell her to take her camera along. I have took some of my iriends with me to my ground blind and the have sat with their camera and got great shots.

Swiftfox
Thanks Swiftfox :) I found it on the MNR site and have posted it below (I'm presuming the "answers" are written by C.O.'s):

Question Re: Non-hunter Vs Hunter and Licence Requirements
I am 20 years old and from a family of non-hunters, but I enjoy hunting of all kinds. I don't have many other people to go out deer hunting with, and since it is dangerous to go alone my dad often comes with me for company. He doesn't have a hunting licence, but he enjoys being with me, and dresses in orange just to be safe. We were told that is illegal for him to do this and he can be charged with illegal hunting even if he isn't carrying a gun? How can this be? Aren't crown lands open for everyone to use, not just hunters during hunting season? How can he be charged for simply walking around in the bush with me?

Answer:This practice is absolutely legal if the non-hunter does not actively participate in the hunt. Let me give you a couple of scenarios to explain this:

in our hunt camp we have a member who is a non-hunter. On occasion, he goes out with one of the 'doggers', walking alongside him and taking photographs. This is perfectly legal as he is not an integral part of the chase. Equally legitimate, he sometimes sits on a watch with another hunter (only one gun) and takes photos, visits, etc.
in the same scenario, if the non-hunter decided that he wanted to walk by himself in the same general area and thus function as an additional 'dogger', then that would mean he is now meeting the definition of "hunt" and would need a licence.

Clearly, anyone can simply walk around on crown (or private, with permission) land but once there is any indication that they are actively involved in 'chasing, pursuing, in search of,.' then they are liable to the requirement for a hunting licence and may be charged if they do not have one - whether or not they have a firearm!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I went for years when I was a kid if asked I was just watching.
Never had any problems.
Tenpoint Matrix