How long have you owned your Thermacell?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: How long have you owned your Thermacell?

Post by VixChix »

JRS wrote:Off topic, but in the latest Ont. Out of Doors, there is an ad for a product called Insect Defend Patch. I have seen it in the local Walmart. It is a stick on patch that is supposed to be good for 36 hours of insect protection using Thiamine (B1) and your body's chemistry. Supposed to be waterproof too, and good for ages 1 and up.

http://www.insectdefendpatch.com/
I tried the Defend patch last weekend. I had mosquitoes crawling all over me, but didn't get bit. Although they weren't biting they were everywhere. With having so many buzzing around me I couldn't fight the urge to try to wave them away, which wasn't doing much for my ability to sit still so I turned on my ThermaCell.

My observations on the patch:

I would say the patch worked as advertised. I'm a mosquito magnet. I don't just get bites, I get big WELTS. (Clariton keeps the welts and itching down a bit).

It takes a while to kick in so it's best to put it on a few hours before you need it. It seemed to work for the full 36 hrs that it said it would.

I found that my skin developed a smell that I can only describe as "vitaminy". First just at the patch location, but but then 2nd day it was everywhere. I smelled like a vitamin B supplement - and there is a reason for that since the patch works by infusing vitamin B1 into your system.

I would use it again, but I wouldn't leave my ThermaCell at home if I was planning on trying to sit still.

I imagine it would be handy for sitting out around the campfire in the evenings - would keep you from getting the surprise bites from the stealth mosquitoes. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

warningshot wrote:hey VixChix...last month turkey hunting we were getting attacked by ticks and was wondering if they worked on them as well...
I honestly don't know, as I haven't seen a tick in S. Ontario while out hunting. I've checked for them, but so far so good.

Does anyone else know if ThermaCells keep ticks away?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'd like to hear more from people who have used the Thermacell in STEADY WIND conditions.

Here in the land of "First Flight" , where the wind almost always blows, and where the wind has almost no effect on mosquitos (y'all must have weak, wimpy skeeters if they go away when it's windy! :lol: ), I have a hard time believing a Thermacell would make much of a difference.

I depend on my Shannon BugTamer suit for defense ... and they DO work. They were developed in wetlands.

So ... how 'bout it?

Anyone found the Thermacell effective in steady wind? Not breezes!

:?:
Grizz
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't have one...yet. :(
Will have one before deer season rolls around for sure.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Grizzly, we too have the Shannon Bug Tamer suits but don't use them much at all because they are hot to wear.

Not sure how long we've had our ThermaCells but many years for sure; probably 6 or 7. Actually we bought one and a year later bought another. They both still work but one does take just a bit longer to light but once it is lit it works just as well.

We have found that the pads work longer than expected so have lots of extra pads.

I also like to take the Thermacell along on bike rides. Then if I have to go into the bushes, the Thermacell is a life saver!

We don't seem to have ticks here so cannot answer on that but I will say bugs just don't bother when I have the unit on.

My wife especially likes hers for working in the vegetable gardens or picking strawberries. The bugs just don't bother her then.

Greatest think since sliced bread.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Isis

Post by Isis »

I bought one last year.
We went camping up north in June last year. It rained just before we got to the campsite, so the mosiz were out in full force. I lit the Thermocell and they were gone in no time.
The blackflies were another thing. I found it didn't have much effect on them.
Consequently I spent a few days drinking beer through a net.
roly

Post by roly »

I have had one for two weeks

seems to be doing a great job, am very pleased so far.
sinabar

Post by sinabar »

I have had mine for over a year and love it. I even bought one for my son for christmas last year so that he could hunt without being eaten alive.
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Has anyone used the Earth scent refills? I wonder how, and if, they are good for hunting?

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
wabi

Post by wabi »

grizz wrote:I'd like to hear more from people who have used the Thermacell in STEADY WIND conditions.
Grizz,
Being an expert on Thermacell performance now (I've owned one for less than 24 hours :roll: :lol: ) I decided to find the answer last night. I bought a "compact lantern" model for fishing & camping trips because skeeters eat my son up. (they "buzz" me, but seldom bite) We were at a paylake at a "school's out for the summer" party for the owner's nephews and I took the new thermacell along. The kids were busy roasting hot dogs, playing football, casting lures for bass, and just generally burning off youthful energy. I did the sensible thing for an adult, sat and talked with the owner for quite a bit, then set up a chair and fished. While I was at the "shelter house" talking to the owner I noticed swarms of gnats and noticed a few folks swatting skeeters.
When I set up to fish I got the thermacell out, and in the interest of testing it in the steady breeze (there was a storm front approaching) I put it on the downwind side of my chair. No flying bugs swarmed me, and only one "skeeter buzz" in my ear that was on the upwind side of the device.
I'd say if you set it to your upwind side it would be a great help in reducing the number of flying pests, but that's based one one test so don't take it as gospel. :lol:

BTW - My son who was out of range of the thermacell but covered with 40% DEET still got his share of skeeter bites. :roll: Guess it would be good to use BOTH a good "bug dope" and the thermacell if the bloodsuckers are thick.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have had mine going on the 3rd yr. but its still new in the pack over where i am i haven't saw 4 skitters in one day since i got here. Lots of ticks & knats, more than i like so i guess its a trade off! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315