shipping from the US to Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunterlee

shipping from the US to Canada

Post by hunterlee »

Hey folks
I am looking to purchase a crossbow from someone out of the states and I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of doing this yet. Great price, but I am worried that between the Duty and customs that it will cost as much as buying locally brand new. I think that you may be able to bypass that stuff by shipping US Post. Any suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Normous

Re: shipping from the US to Canada

Post by Normous »

USPS Insured is your best bet if you find a good price in the US. I purchased a used custom Vortex with many extras from the US. It arrived 8 days later USPS to my door and cost me nothing extra. The declared and insured value was $750 USD.

UPS can can cost you much more on your end with brokerage fees and duties. I would avoid UPS or FedX if possible.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Definitely make sure that it is shipped via USPS. UPS has some insane brokerage fees that they'll lay on just about anything coming across the border, even if they are labelled as a 'gift', but have a value attached to them.

Sometimes purchasing on your own side of the border is worth it, even if you find a 'smoker deal', because once additional costs are added in, you might only save yourself a couple bucks.

I've had items come across the border and have cost me much more than I originally thought they would. With the exchange rate being what it is right now, it happens more often than not.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

another vote for usps....

[quote="DirtyGun"]Definitely make sure that it is shipped via USPS. UPS has some insane brokerage fees that they'll lay on just about anything coming across the border, even if they are labelled as a 'gift', but have a value attached to them.

Sometimes purchasing on your own side of the border is worth it, even if you find a 'smoker deal', because once additional costs are added in, you might only save yourself a couple bucks.

I've had items come across the border and have cost me much more than I originally thought they would. With the exchange rate being what it is right now, it happens more often than not.[/quote]
Milli Benelli

Post by Milli Benelli »

As mentioned by many.........AVOID ANYTHING SHIPPED ACROSS THE BORDER BY UPS!! You will likely incur fees in the neighbourhood of 30%-50% of declared value at the door. No joke.
Excalibur Equinox
Firebolts
100gr Grim Reapers
Lumenock
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i forgot ...ups calls the extra cash a borkerage fee above duty etc ...not all the time but most times they hammer u with it
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

My wife bought an item on ebay a few years back, The price was about $500.00 for the item. It was shipped via UPS. They charged me an extra $150 in brokerage fees.

Whats worse is that they will try to deliver it for 3 days if you're are not home on the third attempt they will ship it back to the sender. I called and asked if I could just pick it up at the UPS Store around the corner from my house but they said that they were not set up for that! As both of us worked days at the time, I had to take a day off to be home and accept the package :shock:

Not a fan of UPS! :evil:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

UPS is a fine way to ship, you just just need to know how to deal with them.
If you mark the item "expedited", you will bypass the customs fees and taxes. Standard UPS will get you good, just learn the lingo and wait patiently.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've sent to Can. a dozen times, ups one time, I learned the hard way, lost it all :x never again not even here in the states. USPS is the only way to go for me.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

For me UPS has always been bad for anything coming up from the US - I insist on USPS or no deal.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
josh1963

Post by josh1963 »

USPS all the way.Ups sucks.Charged me 150.00 on a 550.00 Bow a year ago.Never again.
2008 Excalibur Equinox
AP scope package
Firebolts, NGSS,Ground pounder,s-coil stabilizer,Extender and cheekpiece
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Got burned by UPS also. Never again.
Raymond