moose call

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spike

moose call

Post by spike »

I'm looking for a moose call. Any suggestions ?

Spike
ROGER
ghglenn

Re: moose call

Post by ghglenn »

This is simple. Cheap plastic cup, the kind you get for ordering the "Large" at the movies :shock: ....then you need a small (about 12") piece of nylon cord/clothesline/something like that. Cut a small hole in bottom of cup, push cord partway through hole. Wet cord....pull through when you want to moose to come. Play with it, to get the hang of it. This sounds silly, but it works like a champ.

Coffee can works good to, just different technique, little too technical for my blood, lol. http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/57155
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Or a coffee can with string that has resin on it. Don't forget the canoe paddle to beat the brush with.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

Hello,

Take a 5lb coffee can and drill a small hole in the center of the bottom of the can place a 20" leather shoe lace through the hole and tie a knot on the bottom side of the can to hold it in place. Hold the can under one arm with the leather lace and the open end facing forward, wet the leather shoe lace and reach in the can and pinch the lace with the opposite hand and pull forward. With some practice this will sound like a cow in heat if it has a metal sound line the inside with duct tape and you can aim the can in the direction you want to call.
I used this to harvest a Bull three years ago and will be trying again this year if I get a tag!
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
doublelung911

Post by doublelung911 »

If your going to buy a moose call, there is really only one "good one" on the market. KC's moose mags are made in Canada by world champion moose caller Ken Capling. He also has an instructional DVD. These things are rugged, not only do they finish off a call perfectly, You can use them to beat brush,scrape trees and you can fill them with water and drain them to imitate a cow urinating. It will last you a lifetime. Owen Scott made one similar and you can find them at garage sales still if you are lucky. The moose mags are availible at most good hunting shops.
Good calling
They're there if you can get em'
Tom

Post by Tom »

If your looking for an electronic moose call, I do not think that a cheap one is worth it. The cheapest call on the market is your fingers and your voice. Get a CD or DVD and learn the tones, use your fingers on your nose to help duplicate the tones.

To project the call further distances, you can use your hands cupped or roll up a piece of cardboard or Birch Bark. There are a number of store available calls (horns) out there, some even hand made, but I would advise getting something strong and durable. I have found that the horns are a memorable item in remembering the hunt in later years.

Here is a call which my dad makes by hand (I have not made any in many years)

Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]