targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brenjen

targets

Post by Brenjen »

I went today & bought a couple targets. The first one was a "Buckmaster BM-360" I got from Wal-Mart for a little over $42 with tax & I have to say it feels a little on the light side. It's supposed to be a broadhead & field point target in one. I think I'm going to take it apart & see what's inside it before I shoot at it, I haven't weighed it but if I were to guess I'd say it runs about ten pounds which for it's size feels too light to me. Does anyone have experience with this target?

The second one I gather is a new model & I got it from a local outdoor store (not a chain) for about the same price as the former; it's apparently manufactured by Field Logic but I'm not certain, it's called a "hurricane Bag". It's very heavy at what I'd guess is around thirty five pounds & is the typical synthetic burlap covering over a cube of something. It looks & feels pretty well made. Does anyone have experience with this target?
sumner4991

Re: targets

Post by sumner4991 »

I had to take the Buckmaster back to Walmart . . .the arrows penetrate too deep and are a real pain to take out.

I suggest shooting at it first. Whatever is inside isn't good. Walmart will take it back if you don't take it apart.

I tried to do a search on my previous post about the Buckmaster . . .apparently it's a goner.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

sumner4991 wrote:I had to take the Buckmaster back to Walmart . . .the arrows penetrate too deep and are a real pain to take out.

I suggest shooting at it first. Whatever is inside isn't good. Walmart willl take it back if you don't take it apart.
Thanks for the reply & that's exactly what I suspected would be the case.

I'd rather take it apart & stuff it with my own fill after.....like maybe some old carpet & wool blankets or something. I want to be able to get about ten shots with my broadheads a couple days before the season to fine tune the scope. The added benefit is I can take pictures & show others why they shouldn't bother with that particular pos :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Brenjen wrote:
I'd rather take it apart & stuff it with my own fill after.....The added benefit is I can take pictures & show others why they shouldn't bother with that particular pos :lol:
That will be interesting . . .I always wondered what grabbed the arrows and would not let go. Maybe I can rest better at night after your report. :D

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
secret

Post by secret »

A burlap sack filled with plastic bags works better! i use a Block...7 years now.
[with broadheads]
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Decoy Dan

Post by Decoy Dan »

I purchased the Hurricane bag about a month ago. Arrows and bolts only go in about three inches and very easy to remove. Very happy with it so far.

Dan.
I'll let my exocet do my talking.
ingovenn

Post by ingovenn »

Hey there guys an girls, made my own VERY easily and cheaply and extremely longlasting: went to a second hand clothing "gathering store" bought two bags, about 50 pounds of secondhand or discarded clothing and old rags. Stuffed them in a double feedlot bag (white) and stichted it closed. It stands on its own and arrows go in about 3 inches even from close up and remove with just two fingers. Broadheads are a bit mor difficult as they cut the bag. The whole lot cost about 8 Dollars. I painted the targets with a black Koki on the white bag to the size of the vital area of the game I am looking for. Have shot more than a 500 Bolts at the target (mostly field points) and the outer bag is still fine.....Its that easy! Ciao, Ingo.....Must a South African show you tech lot how to do it cheaply ....... :wink:
Ibex, Easton Power Bolts, Three Blade Muzzies 125gr
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i looked at the inside of the BM 360 in the store, it has cardboard inside, so i bought the BM 180 instead to site my xbow in and use the red/white/blue styro targets in the plastic wally world has for broadhead practice....with the multiple bulleyes on it you can use a different bullseye for each shot before you start blowing throught it, plus it only costs 15 bucks............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i knew of a guy who worked at a place that had that expandible foam....he brought a box from a washing machine into work and filled it up, only weighed bout 25lbs and he shot BH's all day into it............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as bob said, i'd get that 15buck one from walmart for bheads. That way it doesnt rip any of the expensive targets apart. I use the block crossbow target which isnt cheap... 80bucks? But the first one I had lasted 4 years. Still going strong but I bought a new on last year to have. I only shoot fieldtips in those since any bhead will rip the foam apart

goodluck man
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Thanks Decoy Dan; it felt so much like the last field point bag I owned I figured it would do ok but wanted reassurance.

Well folks, "The Block" is only available from one store here & it's $109 + tax on sale....too much for me to pay for one target. Wally didn't have the cheap blue plastic foam broadhead targets in stock at all only the BM-360 & 180. The 360 is supposed to be a FP or BH so that's why I took the chance. When I picked it up I knew better but I did it anyway since it was less than half my target budget & I knew I could beef it up if needed so I could get those few shots I needed before the season opener.

To the South African - Welcome aboard friend! Two of my favorite internet friends are from SA....& no; we don't need reminding of that, it's called a "rag bag" here. :wink:

This is my first retail broadhead target purchase in the BM-360 though, my last target was one I made myself & it stopped my 150# PSE broadheads like they were nothing.

Well it stopped raining here & I got caught up on sleep & coffee intake, time to go test out the new Vortex for the first time.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When I'm testing strings or broadheads and shooting a lot . . .I shoot the first arrow in the top left corner, then shoot an inch beside that one. Make my way across the target. Then I start a second line an inch below the first arrow and make my way across the target. I can get in a lot of shots without walking to the target to remove the arrows and it helps the target last longer.

I no longer shoot broadheads. Mine consistantly shoot exactly the same as my field tips. I found it's a waste of time for my set-up. That took a lot of shooting before I felt comfortable with that decision.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Well since I'm new to this rig I want to fire both FP's & BH's extensively for a while. I shot the bow today & my last twenty yard shot was so dead center of the bull it would have taken a micrometer to find the deviation.

That Hurricane bag is a good one for FP's & @ $40 it didn't break the bank. I'll probably go ahead & let the wife take the wally target back without even firing at it & just cobble a home spun BH target together in sept.

So far I'm satisfied with the bow, shoots as well as I had expected; not much noise or vibration at all. Good Job Excalibur & Thank You!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Brenjen wrote: That Hurricane bag is a good one for FP's & @ $40 it didn't break the bank. I'll probably go ahead & let the wife take the wally target back without even firing at it & just cobble a home spun BH target together in sept.
buy the one in my picture when wally world has there hunting stuff out soon, well worth the money....you can also buy the 2" thick foam boards from home depot type stores and cut then down and stack them, but i think they are over 15 a sheet thought....that is why i went with the red/white/blue target from WM...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Bulap bag filled with old rags and two rolls of gorilla tape keeps me shooting for days. :D :D :lol:
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.