Slick Trick Grizztrick Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Livtahunt

Slick Trick Grizztrick Broadheads

Post by Livtahunt »

Do these fly like field tips like the original slick tricks do? And for those who have used them what are your opinions of them?

Thanks
Justin
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Cossack

Re: Slick Trick Grizztrick Broadheads

Post by Cossack »

A noted authority on another site claims they do. I've personally used only the Std and Slick mags. Fly great; I don't bother to practice with broadheads any more..
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

what didnt you like about their performance on impact?
And do you mean the regular slick trick broadheads or the grizztricks?
I dont believe the grizztricks come in 125gr at least not on cabelas.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Rich

Post by Rich »

I did a 4 broadhead comparison of the 125 grain Slicktricks that was being run over on the AT Forum. I tested the 125 Grain Slicktrick Standards, Magnums, Grizztricks, and Razortricks. I tested them in a Mathews Drenalin and Drenalin LD. They all grouped very well, but i did not have the same POI as my fieldtips as a lot of others claim. At 20 yards I had up to a 2" difference in POI from my fieldtips (Muzzys, Wasp and Rages also). The Grizztricks did start to drift right on me as the distance increased to 40 yards. At 40 yards I was about 3.5 inches right.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:I don't know why folks use field tips as a standard for measuring the integrity of a hunting head.

Field tips are for target archers and have nothing to do with hunting.

I have never ever seen a fixed blade hunting head (including the Slicks) that will fly exactly like a field tip....never.

Why should they?

There is no relationship between them!
Bob . . .I use field tips to practice shooting. Once I get everything shooting like I expect it to shoot, then I like to think I'm good to go hunting. I do not like having to start over just because I start shiooting broadheads. Therefore, it is my preference to shoot a broadhead that hits the same POI as my field tips.

I'm sure most people would agree that a field tip has little to do with hunting big game. However, I have taken many a squirrel, rabbit, and the occasional ground hog with a field tip.

With that said . . .I had the same experience as Rich and others, the Slicks shoot very well, but, not the same POI as my field tips. I've only been able to get mechanicals to fly exactly the same, because they ARE basically the same thing.

I do agree with your accessment with the fixed blade broadheads. I have not found one to fly exactly the same as my field tips. The smaller they are, the closer they come . . .however, I find those to NOT have enough cutting surface to quickly kill large game. Which means longer tracking jobs.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

my sick trick 125 mags punched a 2" hole in and out of the two doe i shot and both went down within 15/20 seconds with just a one lung and liver shot on one of them....i get my exocet sighted in with target tips and practice with used slicks....every shot off the bench have been within 1/2" of the bulleyes out to 50 yards, but then i have 550gr 21.4% FOC arrows i built to fly that good out to 50 yards....my first doe i shot at 49 yards was offhand and didn't even know i was standing there in the woods, she went 20 feet before she dropped in 15 seconds still eating like nothing happened to her....i'm sold on slick trick 125 mags untill they let me down..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Rich

Post by Rich »

bstout wrote:I don't know why folks use field tips as a standard for measuring the integrity of a hunting head.
I hear what you are saying Bob, don't speak those words over on the AT Forum though. According to 99% of the experts there (I am in the other 1%), a bow that doesn't shoot field tips and broadheads exactly the same is the result of a poorly tuned bow. I will compensate with my sights until my broadhead does what I want it to.

Rich
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i've posted my results here as to the fire bolts that came with my excalbur package with a picture too....thats why i built what arrows i use to get the job done out to 50 yds....it really wasn't hard either, just time wise took a while........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

This discussion has me wondering.

Does anyone here actually just thread in field tips on their arrows, sight in, and then simply switch over to broadheads? Does anyone here actually call that good enough for hunting?

After threading in a broadhead, I test fire that arrow. If it flies well, I either sharpen that broadhead or replace the blades. That particular broadhead is STAYING on that arrow, anyway!

That happens for each arrow I use for hunting. If you don't test the broadhead to the arrow to which it will be mounted, you are gambling on accuracy. Manufacturing tolerances are pretty good, but stinkers do sometimes get mixed in with the good ones. There is simply no excuse for not testing each hunting arrow.

I think all hunters should be that fussy about their hunting arrows.

If they are that fussy, they likely won't care so much where their fieldpoint tipped arrows hit on target.... just as long as they get on paper and make it easier to sight in their broadheads.

Broadheads is where my sights will be set.

My priority is hunting, not targeting. For those with a different priority, that's their personal business.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i made an arrow spinner that i use when i attach a BH to an arrow....when i mount a BH to a shaft and spin it and the BH tip/point does not oscillate out of round then i use that arrow with that BH....out of curiosity i shot a BH that had an out of round spin to it, not much but some....it flew good but not as good as the true spinners i had....even when i was shooting my compound bow i did the same thing with the spin test, if it didn't spin good it flew off target....but when i was shooting my compound i was using bear razorheads that had a big single blade to contend with planning in flight....the slick tricks even though they are small but still has 1 1/8" across size, the shape of the blades are what allows them to fly like target tips....here is a 2" exit hole from a 125 slick trick..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rich wrote: According to 99% of the experts there (I am in the other 1%), a bow that doesn't shoot field tips and broadheads exactly the same is the result of a poorly tuned bow.
Rich
No tuning a crossbow. All the tuning is to the arrow and broadhead. I'm a big fan of spinning too. Most of the issues occur at the connection between the broadhead and the shaft . . .the washer is my #1 thing to try if the spin test is failed. Next is making sure the shaft is square.

I have gotten a couple of tips that were cut off center(Wasp Boss). This shows up in the spin test too.

If my broadhead/arrow passes the my spin test, then it's good to go without shooting. Shooting a perfectly good broadhead into a target can actually cause enough damage to throw it off when taking the second shot. Doesn't take much when shooting at over 300 FPS.

I got my "right of passage" for my hunting set-up. And thus far, it's been perfect in my field tests. If yours works for you, then keep doing what you are doing.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
peter p

Post by peter p »

There are so many different field point sizes out there it's hard to find one that has the same poi as a broadhead.
The one I found that shoots the same as the 100 grain mag slick trick is the 100 grain 11/32 field point.
I do all my sighting in with the field point then screw on a slicktrick and it's exactly the same poi.
I then only practice with broadheads. The field point is only for the sighting in.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've come to realize that fletching can dictate how well a broadhead will group with field points.

I've switched from offset Fusions to Helical Fusions and I tested some 100gr Magnus Stingers and out to 50 yards (didn't bother shooting farther yet) they hit the same spot as my field points.

I just ordered some Slick Trick Mags with my new Release. I've been seeing some of the holes they blow through bone and hide I just have to try them out!
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I use the same arrow as Bob 1961 except I use 100 grain Slick Tricks.
My broadheads hit right with my field points. My arrow weights 500 grains.
They fly 215 fps out of my Equinox. My Hawk Map scope is dead on 20 through 60 yds. At 60 yds. , my fletching is touching and I don't have any flyers as long as I spin check my arrows, they group together.
Tenn.

Equinox
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't have a dial indicator but i have hand spun my arrows with field pts & BH's since early 60's. I can feel an arrow if its not spinning smoothly. When i use a fixed BH i shoot that broadhead & resharpen it & it stays with the arrow it was shot with. Spitfire mech. have shot so well out of miss vixen i just ck. their weight then spin test to make sure my front insert is sq. when screwed up tight. At this time i don't own a CB that shoots faster than 285 fps so don't knowed what those hi-speed set-ups shoot like. When i had my E'cet 200 it shot fine but were talking less than 320 fps. The faster an arrow is shot the more things need to be balanced together with it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315