OT: Striper fishing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

OT: Striper fishing

Post by groundpounder »

I just aquired my fathers boat and took it out on my maiden voyage with it for some striper fishing. I went to Lake Lanier in Ga and borrowed a bait tank from a friend. Slow trolling blue back herring 60 feet down in 100 feet of water is where I was finding the fish. I had a couple break off. One get off jumping against the side of the boat while reaching for the net. And I did boat two fish. A 3.5 pounder and a 9 pounder. The 9 pounder is my biggest striper so far. I know they get alot bigger but I had a great time and was also looking for some dinners.

Why ride when you can walk!
secret

Re: OT: Striper fishing

Post by secret »

Nice stripers Groundpounder!!!! That dinner looks mmmmm good! looks like you have a new addiction.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Nice Todd! Bet it was a scream!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Good fishing & relaxin ,catch a few, enjoy the time out there
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Catchem up Todd 8)
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
secret

Post by secret »

Groundpounder, Here in Pa we fish the same way, only difference is we use 10" trout[rainbow,brown,brook]Raystown lake for Inshore Striper 40 lbs+ ,we fish at night mostly.We drop our baits down 40-60' ,then tie a white ballon[blown up size of fist] on line, set rods left and right.turn on blacklight...slowly troll with front trolling motor.when the fish hits[ballon down] this gives you time to clear rods if you have too! after fighting fish to ballon ..just pop ballon before rodtip keep reeling.we also use offshore planer boards and egg sinkers to get them away from boat.Late night fishing is done fishing pulling boats right up on a big point. Baitrunners out back..listening for a run. Striper fishing is addictive!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
wabi

Post by wabi »

That second pic make me want to go! :lol: :lol:

Never tried stripers, but I'm guessing they are similar to white bass - good eating!

Did take my son to the local lake this evening. It rained lightly for the past day or so here, so there was some water flowing over the spillway. We went to the deep hole below the spillway (old rock quarry) and fished with our fly rods. A nymph tossed into the current and let drift into slow water brought a strike almost every cast. :D Green sunfish, bluegill, and crappies were all feeding. Nothing big, but it was still fun!!!!!!!!!
wabi
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Nice fish.

We get them here in Nova Scotia in the summer. They migrate up the east coast chasing mackrel schools. I used to fish them in high school and it was common to catch 20-40 lb fish. I have seen a few rods broken and 50lb test line completely burned off a reel. They are awesome fighters.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nice Fish Todd. And yummy in the tummy.
Raymond
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

secret wrote:Groundpounder, Here in Pa we fish the same way, only difference is we use 10" trout[rainbow,brown,brook]Raystown lake for Inshore Striper 40 lbs+ ,we fish at night mostly.We drop our baits down 40-60' ,then tie a white ballon[blown up size of fist] on line, set rods left and right.turn on blacklight...slowly troll with front trolling motor.when the fish hits[ballon down] this gives you time to clear rods if you have too! after fighting fish to ballon ..just pop ballon before rodtip keep reeling.we also use offshore planer boards and egg sinkers to get them away from boat.Late night fishing is done fishing pulling boats right up on a big point. Baitrunners out back..listening for a run. Striper fishing is addictive!!!!
We have used the trout before. They say the water has gotten too warm for them right now though. I was having to add ice to my bait tank to help keep the herring cool enough too. I have seen the baloon thing done but have never tried it. We are talking about a possible night time trip in a couple of weeks.
Post subject: Re: OT: Striper fishing

That second pic make me want to go!

Never tried stripers, but I'm guessing they are similar to white bass - good eating!

Did take my son to the local lake this evening. It rained lightly for the past day or so here, so there was some water flowing over the spillway. We went to the deep hole below the spillway (old rock quarry) and fished with our fly rods. A nymph tossed into the current and let drift into slow water brought a strike almost every cast. Green sunfish, bluegill, and crappies were all feeding. Nothing big, but it was still fun!!!!!!!!!

Wabi I did replace my lost fly rod and have been wearing it out on the trout since getting it. I wound up getting another TFO rod and Orvis Bar stock reel. I also got a spare spool with sink tip line that has really been useful for swapping out on the "fly". I usually catch and release but occasionally I've kept a few and they have been great on the grill! Been getting to hit the streams atleast about once a week :D
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Ever used umbrella rigs? Very effective, and fun way to catch stripers!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Nice fish GP
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

FredBear wrote:Ever used umbrella rigs? Very effective, and fun way to catch stripers!
I've used them before but all I've ever caught with them is trees :evil: And expensive losses they are! I know they are effective but expensive. I may give them a try again some day but not just yet.
bucont

Post by bucont »

Great fish GP. That is one on my bucket list.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA