OFAH members?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

Re: OFAH members?

Post by DirtyGun »

Pinpoint wrote:I'v been a mamber for the last 5 years. I can think of no reason not to renew. They are our loudest voice when it comes to hunting and fishing issues in Ontario. When this idiotic gun registry is finally laid to rest, it will be because of the work put in by the OFAH!
As much as the OFAH has had a very prominent voice regarding the gun registry, I think that the CSSA has done a far better job and has been a much louder voice.

I'm a member of both. But, if I had to choose one, it would be the CSSA, hands down.
TPM

Post by TPM »

DirtyGun wrote:
Pinpoint wrote:I'v been a mamber for the last 5 years. I can think of no reason not to renew. They are our loudest voice when it comes to hunting and fishing issues in Ontario. When this idiotic gun registry is finally laid to rest, it will be because of the work put in by the OFAH!
As much as the OFAH has had a very prominent voice regarding the gun registry, I think that the CSSA has done a far better job and has been a much louder voice.

I'm a member of both. But, if I had to choose one, it would be the CSSA, hands down.
Ryan, I have to agree with you. Another big issue I have with OFAH is that they really like to make you think they are the ONLY voice in a lot of issue's. Whenever a battle is won they want take all the credit but they never seem to recognize or mention all the other groups, organizations or individuals involved in the fight.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
JRS

Post by JRS »

DirtyGun wrote: As much as the OFAH has had a very prominent voice regarding the gun registry, I think that the CSSA has done a far better job and has been a much louder voice.

I totally agree with you on that. I am a member of both the CSSA and NFA, which both devote almost all their energy to fighting for less firearm regulation. That being said, I am also an OFAH member because I think they do a good job of working on fish and wildlife issues.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I'm not sure that its fair to evaluate the Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters (OFAH) versus the Canandian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA). They are different organizations with different mandates. To say the OFAH has not done enough for gun rights is like saying that the CSSA has not done enough for conservation. Not relevant comparisons IMO.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'm not sure that its fair to evaluate the Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters (OFAH) versus the Canandian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA). They are different organizations with different mandates. To say the OFAH has not done enough for gun rights is like saying that the CSSA has not done enough for conservation. Not relevant comparisons IMO.
Derek I have to agree, they are two different organizations with two different mandates but I think the comments here were in response to pinpoint's comment below. OFAH certainly has done a lot in fighting for gun owners rights but I don't think they're the leader in this one.
When this idiotic gun registry is finally laid to rest, it will be because of the work put in by the OFAH!
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

It is true the OFAH likes to put their name to anything to due with wildlife and such . For example the reintroductions of the wild turkey and elk . If you listened to them there was no one else but them and the MNR .
Meanwhile with the wild turkey there was the NWTF, volunteers and the different wildlife agencies of different states with the trades of wildlife .
Has the OFAH done things . YES
But not without the help of other organizations .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

TPM wrote: Derek I have to agree, they are two different organizations with two different mandates but I think the comments here were in response to pinpoint's comment below. OFAH certainly has done a lot in fighting for gun owners rights but I don't think they're the leader in this one.
When this idiotic gun registry is finally laid to rest, it will be because of the work put in by the OFAH!
I get it now. Thanks Tim.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

All I meant is that the OFAH is active in trying to get the gun registry dropped. I was not suggesting their are no other organizations involved. I am a member of the OFAH only and don't really know much about the CSSA. As a member of the OFAH thats where I get my updates on issues like these.
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Pinpoint wrote:All I meant is that the OFAH is active in trying to get the gun registry dropped. I was not suggesting their are no other organizations involved. I am a member of the OFAH only and don't really know much about the CSSA. As a member of the OFAH thats where I get my updates on issues like these.
I wish they were as active in keeping the Spring bear hunt around. They sat on their hands on that one.

The OFAH is actually a very small voice in the overall fight against the gun registry. The CSSA, CILA and NFA have really been heading up the fight. The OFAH is kind of just tagging along for the ride.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:What would it cost to get that kind of insurance through an agent? I think that it would sound good to a landowner to hear you say you are insured, but is that one sentance and a magazine really worth 45+ bucks to me? Not that I don't want to support the voice that they have in government, but it is too early in life for me -- I am just trying to make ends meet and find some land to hunt! :D
For a while I hunted moose in the Huntsville area on 1600 acres, all private. Different people leased the hunting rights to one of the members of the group, this member also owned some of the land. One said land owner (A lumber company) was told by by their insurance that any person using their land for any activity must carry their own liability insurance. We looked into this on a personal level and the best we could get was $50 and it was a rider on a home owners policy. I mentioned the OFAH and their policy was submitted and that companies insurance accepted it and we were good to go.

Now for others that are complaining about needing to be OFAH members to access certain areas in this Province. Well it could be that you would have no access to those areas if it would not have been for the OFAH. You see the local governments (with the help of anti's) were going to restrict access and hunting because of the liability issues and the cost to these local areas for insurance.

Is the cost to join money well spent, well that is not for me to say, but if I can afford to, I will keep my membership even though I no longer hunt moose in Huntsville.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I use their landowner permission forms. I've had landowners comment that their impressed not just by the use of the forms, but that I'm a part of an organization which provides insurance. That part alone is worth something to me.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
whitetailseeker

Post by whitetailseeker »

I too am a member and still have some of the original "Angler and Hunter" magazines

Whitetailseeker
DanO

Post by DanO »

The MNR has been downsized and reorganized so many times I wonder if anyone knows what's going on. The Minister changes seasonally and each time he/she needs to be re-educated on natural resources. The only constant is the OFAH and they keep the goverment and the Ministry honest on most issues. They are a respected voice that deals with hunting and fishing issues. It's worth the money.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.