Saftey glasses, and trail cameras...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FredBear

Saftey glasses, and trail cameras...

Post by FredBear »

I found this story online. A guy going to check his camera finds it in several pieces about 6 feet from the tree. It exploded!!! I never thought of this happening before, but what if you where checking it :shock: I would like to see a deer react to an exploding tree as it's eating from a random corn pile in the woods :lol: Check out the pics.

crazyfarmer

Re: Saftey glasses, and trail cameras...

Post by crazyfarmer »

dang man.... thats not good at all!!! my guess is those deer are use to booming now :lol: sucks for the owner when he checked his camera though
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

4th of July special at Bass Pro.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i was going to say lighting as well .but what kind of battery is that could be a magiver job DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

bstout wrote:I service electronic equipment for a living and that looks like it took a lightning hit. I see stuff like that all summer long, never on a trail cam before though. :shock:
I asked the same question! The guy says there was no damage to the tree?????? I don't know! There does apear to be some "ant like" debris in the cover. So it may be possible they some how did it?? All just guesses I really dont know.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Dutch, looks like a 6 or 12 volt battery. i watched a show on red ants and they can chew through wires
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
ballz n jawz

Post by ballz n jawz »

maybe someone hit it with a boomerang. Get it... BOOMerang. ok, that was dumb.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Could be a nearby strike of lightning induced enough current to do the damage.
Sure looks to me like it took some serious current to do that!

I wouldn't think ants would be able to cause that kind of damage, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I've seen/felt a 1.5V battery get hot enough to burn me when it was shorted out. :roll:
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

The outside of the case has no damage. Would that still make sense for a lighting strike? I have no idea! :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

FredBear wrote:The outside of the case has no damage. Would that still make sense for a lighting strike? I have no idea! :)
Yes, if it was caused by "induced" current. The magnetic field from the electric source (the lightning) passing over the wires could cause a huge surge in voltage.

Electricity/lightning can do some weird & amazing things! I've seen it take out some fixtures in a circuit and not harm others in the same circuit.

All I know for sure is that I like to pattern my life after what I learned about electricity in school in the navy. (I was an aviation electrician)
It takes the path of least resistance. :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

maybe the deer are just getting smarter;)
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Maybe the wires were crossed and didn't short out until triggerd to take a pic? don't know what blew up the tabs are still there to hold it on a tree, and the battery is still in tac, just a guess

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Tom

Post by Tom »

I am not sure of the newer model trail cameras, but the old ones as well as the home built I was familar with, shorting them out would not cause an explosion. The wires would just burn out or the boards would fry. Now BATTERIES can cause this as well as the Flash. Flash cameras work with COMPASITORS which store energy, enough energy to light a bright flash at an instant when triggered. If you have worked on a trail camera and have touched one of these, you will know how much energy they store. :oops: Believe me, more then a few cameras have crossed the room unexpectedly out of someones hands after an accidental touch.

Tiny ants have also been know to cause major trouble like this. They cut holes (tiny hardly visable) in rubber boots that cover switches, plugs ect and then go into the box and eat the wiring and cause trouble.

I could not tell, but the battery did not look like it over heated and exploded, but that would cause that dammage.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]