getting ready!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

getting ready!

Post by groundpounder »

I've been getting the itch like so many others and am eagerly awaiting the upcoming season. I'm still extremely pleased with the knocking off the dust accuracy of the Excaliburs! Consistently shooting 1-2 inch groups freehand from the back deck at a 20 yard range. Taking my time and silently talking myself through each shot. Repitition, calm, breath, don't grip tight, slowly squeeze, thwack.
I'm also making some time to start going through all the other gear. Pack, calls, THERMACELL and refills!, boots, clothes, maps, the calendar with which hunts to pick. All of this is just making the eagerness more.
The ninety degree temps outside and sweating profusely while shooting reminds me though that there are still several weeks to go!

Why ride when you can walk!
sumner4991

Re: getting ready!

Post by sumner4991 »

Looking good Todd. I'm with you on the heat . . .I was going to shoot some today, but, decided it was too hot.

We got a little shower. . . it's cooler, so maybe after dinner.

You need to warm up by whacking some squirrels. :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Nice shooting. What kind of target is that? It seems to stop the bolts very well at 20 yards, and I could buy it for my little girl! :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

It must be contagious!
I got my Phoenix out a couple weeks ago and tried it out. Had a scope problem (POI had shifted again) so I called Danny Miller, discussed the problem, and Danny let me return the questionable VariZone and exchange it (with a few $$$ to boot) for a new Leupold. :D
Put the Leupold on yesterday, zeroed it (in the rain :( ), then went back to the range this morning and did what I should have done 2 weeks ago - mowed the weeds with a finish mower. :lol:
All set to fine tune it now!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
wabi
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

FredBear wrote:Nice shooting. What kind of target is that? It seems to stop the bolts very well at 20 yards, and I could buy it for my little girl! :lol:
It doesn't stop them that quick! I had to pull them out some for the pic. I will even wrap a ratchet strap around the target and sinch it tight to compress the layers more to help stop them. Discovered that trick last year :wink: I'm just too cheap to buy a thicker target :roll:
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

Its been too windy here the last couple days. I wanted to shoot past 20yds to see how the scope worked out. Right now I can hit a quarter at 20yds. I purchased a BLOCK crossbow target and it works great!!!! I can easily pull the arrows out(one handed) at 20yds that are sunk by the Exomax
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Todd Sharpen those broadheads for Ohio too!! 8)
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

snapperdan wrote:Todd Sharpen those broadheads for Ohio too!! 8)
Ohio is definitely on my mind Dan!!! Can't wait to meet you!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

todd can i get a close up picture of your wooden stock where the rope cocker rides below the safety, i'm looking at getting a stock blank and make me a stock....i see two little dark blocks of something where the rope rides.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup some practice was done yesterday morning. Out with my phoenix sighting in with my 560 gr logs, turned into an arrow search & rescue. Shot my marlmart bag 3 times 3 arrows. I go to pull & onlt 2 showing the other went past fletching & lost a vane. I went to cabin got my other 3 i hunt with & shot them. Gee couple of them went thru target hit rocks & trees, well thats tuff morning on me. Ruined 3 of the 6 arrows in the bag i bought in Nov. That went thru the bag, so i will take torch drop inserts & slugs out go back to 400 gr wt. Those heavy suckers just plowed thru too bad :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

season is a coming fast!! Im going to start getting up a few stands next week also.. havent gotten the bow out yet but it wont be long
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

After seeing these pics close up I guess I should have cleaned more of the dust off :lol:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx todd fer da pic's :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
secret

Post by secret »

ImageImageExocet,Blind hog,Double Bull blind,DB tristool,Tripod,Quiver,Arrows,horns,grunt calls,rangefinder,vest hat,knife,drag,gps,video camera,extra string..stringer,orange trail tape come on archery season!!!!!!!
Last edited by secret on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

That's a Great looking stock. What kind of STS is that, and do you think it is really helping? I don't know if I need it for my VixenII, it not that loud

MIgabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner