Va guys that have feeders and etc out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Va guys that have feeders and etc out

Post by crazyfarmer »

just a heads up but you have to have them removed by Sept 1st... If not, the game wardens will be enforcing that alot this year so I hear. I dont use them or mess with that stuff but mineral licks, salt blocks, or anything thats not a natural source of food have to be gone. I had a few friends last year that had salt licks out and they got a hefty fine just just passing along the information.
sumner4991

Re: Va guys that have feeders and etc out

Post by sumner4991 »

I just don't understand the reasoning . . .the herd is larger than ever, number of hunters is declining . . .and they are concerned about feeding the herd? OK . . .baiting . . .there are so many sources of food in the areas of VA that I hunt that putting out some food isn't going to pull them in. It might help me make a humane shot, but, it's not bringing a deer into my area.

On the other hand, there are so many deer, why bother baiting them?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:I just don't understand the reasoning . . .the herd is larger than ever, number of hunters is declining . . .and they are concerned about feeding the herd? OK . . .baiting . . .there are so many sources of food in the areas of VA that I hunt that putting out some food isn't going to pull them in. It might help me make a humane shot, but, it's not bringing a deer into my area.

On the other hand, there are so many deer, why bother baiting them?
I really dont know.. its the law though so im just trying to save someone a day in court and a hefty fine with court costs. As said, with all the natural sources of food here, its pointless.

to me hunting over a feeder here isnt good hunting.... in some states its fine. It wouldnt be any different than going out and shooting my cattle while they are eating around a hay bale LOL. Granted most can make the statement that hunting over soybeans is the samething.. well thats a 100 acre field where its a guessing game to where deer come out. Hunting over a single feeder takes the guessing out and you know exactly where they will be if they are using it:)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I see no difference in a mineral block and a apple tree. Really, if we are feeding the deer, we are feeding the deer. Shooting them while they are eating . . .there isn't any difference in what they are eating.

It's funny, the VA law . . .it's illegal to have bird feeders out too. My Mom isn't about to give up her bird feeder. :D

I meant to check the mineral block I set out last March. I'm not sure if it's still there or not. I'll not be back up there until season is open. What about the minerals that have seeped into the ground? :roll:

The mineral block is not close to my hunting spot. Probably 100 yards. I should probably get my Dad to go out there. Actually, this may be a good excuse to go up for a scouting trip. :)

Thanks CF! :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

What if the mineral, or salt block is placed out for livestock and a deer happens up on it? Will the farmer be fined for trying to provide proper nutrients for his herd? :D Crazy,we used to have pro-mo licks from Purina I believe, the deer were drawn to them. I'm just wondering how these laws will be enforced. They may use helicopters to scan the area for mineral and salt blocks. :roll: :roll: Anyone take odds on Walmart still having deer corn after Sept. 1? I think they carry it year around for all the people with pet deer at home. :lol: :lol:
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

crazyfarmer wrote:
sumner4991 wrote: It wouldnt be any different than going out and shooting my cattle while they are eating around a hay bale LOL.
crazy, im not sure if your only refering to Va or not, but you dont really believe that do you? As a hunter you know all the variables that come into play. Its not like shooting fish in a barrel! When baiting you have just as much chance of pushing that big buck (or any deer) out of your area because every time you freshen up the pile you leave more human scent behind. For me, I only bait when I have a stand in the woods, they come from every direction and it can bring them to you, and make them pause just long enough within bow range that you are able to take a humane shot. I can see it from your perspective some-what, but its not like shooting grazing cattle!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I think it all has to do with the growing black bear population. They want to keep the human/bear interaction to a minimum.