Couple of Newbie Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CDN Taxman

Couple of Newbie Questions

Post by CDN Taxman »

OK,

Getting geared up for October 1st when I'll be sitting a stand and waiting for a deer to wander by.

Assuming everything is done in legal light.

Walking into the stand in mid-afternoon, do you have the bow cocked and an arrow in? Any chance it could slide away from the end a little and cause problems?

Same kind of question if you were stillhunting a section of the woods....would/could the arrow slip away?

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Re: Couple of Newbie Questions

Post by Dereck »

Arrow should stay in place when walking in I would take it out prior to climbing your stand.Would not have an arrow in it if you have to sling it to carry other stuff.
If you are carrying it when stocking a section of bush be aware of what the bow is coming into contact with and periodically check the arrow is still seated.

If you happen to shoot it not fully seated there could be the chance of the string jumping the arrow similar to a dryfire.
Tenpoint Matrix
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The best way to see wildlife is to remove your arrow from your bow.
I always have an arrow in my bow in a hunting situation, with the exception of climbing a ladder and navigating rough terrain when I am hunting with a second person.
the arrow is capable of sliding down the rail, it needs to be bumped pretty hard though. I have developed the habit of checking it, a lot.
Let the weather, terrain and your experience dictate when to take the arrow out.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have my bow cocked, safety ON, and arrow in shooting position. I use a farm road no grass and no brush. It borders the woods I hunt in.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mines ready to go when walking into the woods.. then take the arrow out as everyone said when going up your stand...

as for the arrow sliding down.. make sure the safety is on and just take your fingers and slide the arrow back up to make sure its seated. Its simple;)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I always carry cocked loaded except crossing a fence are creek are getting in a tree stand. I have found on all Excaliburs i owened the safety has a way of coming off when you carry it on a sling. I now but a rubber band around the pistol grip up over the safety when i carry it with a sling and remove it when it is my hands.