A "MUST" read!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Re: A "MUST" read!!!

Post by awshucks »

No thanks, Bob. He's a member of among other organizations, the PBS and wrote the infamous 'Marlowe Report' which included a bunch of untrue bs about xbows.
"Eze 18:21"
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

how do you calc an arrows speed without a chrony....i'm sure it is a timed flight over a know distance, but how do you accrutly time a crossbow arrows with a stop watch.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bob1961 wrote:how do you calc an arrows speed without a chrony....i'm sure it is a timed flight over a know distance, but how do you accrutly time a crossbow arrows with a stop watch.........bob

Dunno and won't feed ol Roy any money to find out, but doubt it's a stop watch solution. My guess would be weight, range, and drop.

There was a trick shooter in the late 20's early 30's named Ed McGivern, quite the pistolero. He devised some kind of electrical device as a stop watch wasn't quick enough. A stop watch also depends on human reflexes to get started and stopped.

I seem to recall from my Drivers Ed classes, normal human reaction time is 3/4 of a second.

Think ol Ed got off 6 from a 38 Spl double action into a playing card at 15' in 45/100 of a second, lol. It's all in his book, "Fast and Fancy". [My 2nd copy got ripped like the 1st]
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

There are formulas all over the internet for just about anything you want to calculate, just search the criteria you're looking for. Its all free (sort of.)

I wouldn't feel too bad that you bought the book though, and at least you're getting something out of it.
In the Wind.......
dthunder

Post by dthunder »

It is a must read. Marlow and Mullaney know there stuff. There are no politics is Math and engineering. There guys are the goods.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

awshucks wrote: Think ol Ed got off 6 from a 38 Spl double action into a playing card at 15' in 45/100 of a second, lol. It's all in his book, "Fast and Fancy".
6 shots in half a second straight into a playing card :shock: ....ok i know what/how a double action revolver works....but 6 shots fired off in less then half a second with a plain ol 38 spl da revolver, err ok if he said he did it :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bob1961 wrote:
awshucks wrote: Think ol Ed got off 6 from a 38 Spl double action into a playing card at 15' in 45/100 of a second, lol. It's all in his book, "Fast and Fancy".
6 shots in half a second straight into a playing card :shock: ....ok i know what/how a double action revolver works....but 6 shots fired off in less then half a second with a plain ol 38 spl da revolver, err ok if he said he did it :lol: ........bob

He did it all right. Also did 12 shots a Colt in one hand and a S&W in the other like 9/10 of one second. All double action on unmodified actions. He changed the sights, which weren't used for these type deals. He had bunches of signed targets by witnesses.

Since I've already drug this O/T, he also mounted a Lyman rifle scope of the time on a Colt Woodsman .22 and did some 600 yd work. I'd loan you the book, but................ :twisted:

I don't blame any sceptics, look for a copy of it at a gun show and peruse it. An amazing man.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

"I don't blame any sceptics"

not a sceptic but i know how fast i can pull a trigger, but dang that's fast on a trigger to be that on target too........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
JBO

Post by JBO »

Do you mean fast like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9kmj6c650
Vortex
Custom Boo string
Lumi-Zone
Slick Tricks
NRA
JBO