*SCOPE STRESS* hELP PLEASE..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Re: *SCOPE STRESS* hELP PLEASE..

Post by TPM »

I use the Varizone... But, IMHO, for hunting there is no need for scopes on Excalibur crossbows. A peep and maybe even just a single pin and you'd be good to go 0 to 30 yards.
I hunted one season with the peep sights and I agree, for most of the day it's an adequate system but in low light they're pretty useless. A scope is much better for extending shooting opportunities at first and last light.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

If for nothing more than the first and last 15 minutes of light, a scope is worth its weight in gold.
In the Wind.......
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

TPM wrote:
I use the Varizone... But, IMHO, for hunting there is no need for scopes on Excalibur crossbows. A peep and maybe even just a single pin and you'd be good to go 0 to 30 yards.
I hunted one season with the peep sights and I agree, for most of the day it's an adequate system but in low light they're pretty useless. A scope is much better for extending shooting opportunities at first and last light.

I hear you. Pros and cons I think. I'm often hunting field edges and have found with the verizone that even with some legal light AM & Pm it is very hard to see my scope marks when pointed into the woods. Generally though out into the field or woods opening I've got shooting light past/before legal light. Now you have experience hunting with a crossbow both ways, I've only got one season behind my crossbow and only with the verizone not with peep and pin so I respect your experienced opinion.

Bill K.
jgforestry

Post by jgforestry »

See4miles wrote:If for nothing more than the first and last 15 minutes of light, a scope is worth its weight in gold.
You can take that to the bank. Same reason I use a scope during shotgun and muzzlerloader is that few extra minutes it gives me. My woods are really tight so it's not like I'm taking long field shots and need a scope during gun seasons, it's that extra time it gets me.
what goes around comes around
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

E'max is what you shoot, where field edges thick woods ? Do you need to shoot more that 35 yds ? What weight arrow ? All this will play a big part in yer scope choice. A fast Bow & set-up can use one xhair out to 35 yds no problem. Someone like me using a real slow older vixen needs a multiple fer 20-30-40 yds my max with it. Its rainbow Traj. i need 3' vertical shooting clearance.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JB2010

Post by JB2010 »

I still think I will give the varizone a chance. I hope I dont run in to any of the issues that cause me to regret the purchase but I guess you never know til you try it. Thx again for all the info.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut