STS and the like

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lakelover

STS and the like

Post by Lakelover »

Hi all
I have looked at the sites about string dampeners. What is the underlying principles they are trying to accomodate?

I assume they keep the string from traveling past it's needed travel ?
Is there a limit that the string can take getting slowed down?

Inquiring minds have to know ?

Also, we have a lot of coyotes here. any hints for getting them close enough?

Thanks
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
Boo

Re: STS and the like

Post by Boo »

A string stopper will stop the string thereby releasing the arrow at a more consistent point than without and that is regardless of temperature and humidity. It also converts the kinetic energy of the string travel into mechanical energy by compressing the bumpers. That conversion then intercepts the energy on its way to the limb tips where most of the noise of a crossbow emanates from. That second action lowers noise and shock (dirty energy). In lowering the energy that would normally reach the limbs it also lowers the chance of limb damage from a dry-fire.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo nailed the STS.
Put a cat in a cage. Put cage in field at night. Trapping feral cats is best, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:Boo nailed the STS.
Put a cat in a cage. Put cage in field at night. Trapping feral cats is best, lol.
I can just imagine where Karin would kick me and how much it would hurt if she found out!
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Yeh, Yeh, You want Feral Cats, That's it. Feral Cats!!! :twisted: House Cats won't work.
I didn't like Cats before. Then I found out I wasn't cooking them long enough! :P :P
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Boo

Post by Boo »

Migabby wrote:Yeh, Yeh, You want Feral Cats, That's it. Feral Cats!!! :twisted: House Cats won't work.
I didn't like Cats before. Then I found out I wasn't cooking them long enough! :P :P
Hehehehehehe :mrgreen:
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've had good success at getting Coyotes close by using an electrical caller and a motion decoy. I sit the caller and decoy away from me about 25 to 30 yards and I hide downwind. Make sure you're as scent free as if you were deer hunting. I also use some cover scent on the decoy at times.

This works because the caller and motion decoy will focus the Coyote's attention on the noise and movement and off of you.

I like FoxPro callers and some type of motion decoy like this one:
Mojo Critter Decoy.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4