OT/ Building a flyreel (now used)more pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lakelover

Re: OT/ Building a flyreel

Post by Lakelover »

The bronze side plates were actually used thrust washers that I had saved from replacing them on a piece of equipment from work. I have had them in my tool box for several years but knew I would make something out of them one day

Read my tag line. I just love to take some "stuff" and make something functional.

I can salvage wood to die for. Lots of good packing crates and the like. 1x6 clear pine with a few dents in it.

What do you do for a living?
Regards
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

The bronze side plates were actually used thrust washers that I had saved from replacing them on a piece of equipment from work. I have had them in my tool box for several years but knew I would make something out of them one day

Read my tag line. I just love to take some "stuff" and make something functional.

I can salvage wood to die for. Lots of good packing crates and the like. 1x6 clear pine with a few dents in it.

Regards
Axiom

groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Lakelover wrote:

Regards
I was a machinist for 8 years before getting my current job. There I learned and operated ALL kinds of machinery. Drills, Mills, Lathes, CNC, Screw machines, Gear hobs, Mig and Tig welding, etc... definitely a good wide variety of learnings. Now I have worked for a large food manufacturer for the past 14 years in their maintenance department where the smell of Cheerios fill the air :wink: . We have a shop here too but my main job is machine maintenance and reliability. I do get to work on special projects alot where I get to machine and fabricate :D
Why ride when you can walk!
groundpounder

Re: OT/ Building a flyreel (now used)more pics

Post by groundpounder »

I broke it in today and took it fishing. I posted some new pics at the top of this thread.
wabi

Post by wabi »

You got it wet! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Looks like a great way to test it and break it in.
What weight rod did you put it on?
wabi
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Nice fish. Lucky fellow.

Do you tie your own fly's? I used to when we lived in BC. No trout around here.

Just Walleyes and Northern Pike, some perch. Channel cats are supposed to be moving up the Qu'Appelle River.
Axiom

groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

wabi wrote:You got it wet! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Looks like a great way to test it and break it in.
What weight rod did you put it on?
I put it on an 8 foot 4 weight that I already had. Its waiting to go on the future bamboo that I build for it :wink: One day I hope :D Right now I just put some 5 weight line on it that I took off of one of my other reels. I'll probably be swapping it out with some 3 weight whenever I can get to the store.
Lakelover wrote:Nice fish. Lucky fellow.

Do you tie your own fly's?
Yes I do. I got into it at the beginning of this year and wow you talk about addictive :shock:
I love it and being able to come up with and experiment with your own flies really makes it fun. For years I said I wasn't going to get into tying them but finally broke down and tried it. No turning back now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

The bamboo rod sounds like something I could fall in love with. :lol:
I like a rod that "fits the mood", and as I get older a slow rod seems appropriate. Bamboo or fiberglass still has it's place on the water. :wink:

edited to add:
Almost forgot to mention the fly tying addiction. It does fill a lot of winter days with sunshine. :wink: Nothing like setting in front of the vise planning for warm weather.
I tied a few nymphs of a new pattern last night, and then had to get up early this morning to test them before I had to be at a business meeting. Only caught one crappie, but it gave me hope! I'll tie up a few more tonight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

again very cool indeed..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!