Scent Lock Clothing ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTX4

Scent Lock Clothing ??

Post by VTX4 »

Does anyone have experience with the scent lock type of camo clothing? Is it effective? and is it worth the $ investment? Any insights would be helpful before I decide whether or not to lay out the bucks $$.
Excalibur Vortex
Custom Boo String
Excal LumiZone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Bolts
NAP Spitfire 125
Lumenocks
DirtyGun

Re: Scent Lock Clothing ??

Post by DirtyGun »

This topic has been discussed numerous times. It has been beaten to death.

Here's the summary:

- Some swear by it, stating that they have never seen more deer.

- Some actually look at the scientific evidence that denounces Scent Lok's claim that the activated carbon in the fabric can be re-charged by your common household clothes dryer.

The clothing is well constructed, has good seams and is generally very durable, however, in terms of dampening your scent, the claims the company makes are impossible, unless the clothes came directly from the factory and were vacuum-sealed. Even then, the effectiveness will only last you for one hunt and you'll never be able to get the effectiveness back.

The science behind activated carbon doesn't lie.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i love it.. but nothing will get rid of all your scent. Its a tool... I buy all of mine when its 50% off after season. I like it mainly because its comfortable and light weight. Love my savannah XLT series pants and jackets. Start with the cheaper light weight stuff for early season and go from there. No matter what, the wind will always be the biggest factor
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

We tend to put to much faith in easy fixes as hunters.The advertising is just amazing for hunting products in the magazines.The celebrity hunter got the big racked buck wearing scentlok so it must work.I totally agree with hunting the wind and getting your clothes as scent free as possible.That being said i do have some scentlok and scent blocker clothes and whether they work or not there some of the best fitting and best made hunting clothes i own.
I agree buy them after the season on sale.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've never owned Scent Lok or any similar clothing and I fill my freezer every season.
Not saying it doesn't help, just saying you can kill a deer without using it if $$$ are too rare to be gambled away in your household.
The older I get the more I tend to spend my money on proven products (like Excalibur), and just read the advertising claims and laugh. If it were too easy to fool the deer there wouldn't be any left. :wink:
wabi
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Scent Loc lost a lawsuit in the State of Minnesota and must change all their claims. As has already been stated in this thread, scientific evidence does not validate a single claim Scent Loc makes.
Personally, I am positive you could not ever completely eliminate your scent 100% even if it did work, so why bother paying the big bucks for a farce?
Hunt the wind correctly, pick your stands thoughtfully, and your approaches with equal care and you'll do fine, always been that way.
In the Wind.......
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have a set, but won't buy another. It is well built, which was the primary reason for buying it. But the set I have also picks up burrs from the grass and such like a moth to a streetlight. They are so bad that I won't but another set. You can get some very well built great camo for a lot less. That's what I will buy next round.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DuckHunt wrote:I have a set, but won't buy another. It is well built, which was the primary reason for buying it. But the set I have also picks up burrs from the grass and such like a moth to a streetlight. They are so bad that I won't but another set. You can get some very well built great camo for a lot less. That's what I will buy next round.

DuckHunt

heck, even the cheap pants are 30-40bucks now.. Ive never had issues with anything and I put some serious miles on mine. I go through boots like a woman buys shoes everyyear from walking so much LOL :lol: :lol: 3 months of nonstop abuse.

wabi and fuelguy had some good points... You can kill a deer in plain bluejeans. Ive done it plenty of times. I usually just put the scent lok stuff on over my clothes that ive had on in the tractor all day so im by no means scent free. This is where fuelguys comment factors in. I have yet to find any clothes that fit and move better then those with scent lok or blocker. Extremely quiet and thats the biggest must for me since im I walk a long distance to my stands. Camo doesnt fade over time either. The cheaper brands other than fleece sound like a elephant trying to get through the woods when you hit a twig HAHAHHA...

its to each their own... If you sweat and move around alot, the lighter clothes will make the day alot better. Im big into the under armor layers also. On a hot day, a cool outfit can keep you in stand that extra hour fighting skeeters :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Like P.T. Barum said "There's a sucker born every minute".
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

A friend of mine gets his limit every year. His "secret", wear rubber boots and climb at least 25 feet up the tree. He does not own one thread of scent stuff and does not use scent killer sprays.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Hunting has become an "industry" just like all other hobby sports. We have Lee and Tiffany (or as I like to say Tif-phoney), and every other thing imaginable under the sun. Theres a guy right now making the rounds trying to sell socks to put over your arrow vanes! What a joke!

Fred Bear didn't need all this crap and he killed deer and everything else with a recurve bow. Makes ya stop and think for a minute, doesn't it???????
In the Wind.......
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Use some type of cover scents, scent lock clothing like lot of other products is just a rip, all you do is make these people richer.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

See4miles wrote:Hunting has become an "industry" just like all other hobby sports. We have Lee and Tiffany (or as I like to say Tif-phoney), and every other thing imaginable under the sun. Theres a guy right now making the rounds trying to sell socks to put over your arrow vanes! What a joke!

Fred Bear didn't need all this crap and he killed deer and everything else with a recurve bow. Makes ya stop and think for a minute, doesn't it???????

No school like old school
bigbuckonly1 wrote:Use some type of cover scents, scent lock clothing like lot of other products is just a rip, all you do is make these people richer.

If one bought everything the experts say you need to kill a deer you couldn't carry it all to your stand.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Sopchoppy wrote:A friend of mine gets his limit every year. His "secret", wear rubber boots and climb at least 25 feet up the tree. He does not own one thread of scent stuff and does not use scent killer sprays.

im only 12-15ft up since I hate heights LOL.. you go as high as your best cover :D

rubber boots are key also but if you notice they have a smell to them also. Most deer dont mind them but ive had deer pick up my trail 3-4 hours after getting into the stand.
gogo

Post by gogo »

Confidence is a big part of hunting, if scent loc makes you more at ease in the woods and you dont mind paying the big bucks go for it.I cant see it working the way its advertized.Play the wind use a cover scent and you should be ok.