Which Broadhead with aluminum inserts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

Re: Which Broadhead with aluminum inserts?

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Twigs will change the flight, but not from a good sharp BH it will cut a small twig, if your plastic fletching brushes it game over, has nothing to do with weight.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

It sounds like the FOC is mainly an issue with fixed heads like the Slick Tricks. I should be fine with the EXcal x-act 100 grain.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

mchurch wrote:It sounds like the FOC is mainly an issue with fixed heads like the Slick Tricks. I should be fine with the EXcal x-act 100 grain.

B_I_N_G_O

Fixed blade broadheads have their strengths, but, arrow flight isn't one of them. They are certainly less forgiving than expandables when it comes to "hunting conditions". However, with proper preparation, they work flawlessly. It's the "proper prep" that gets the average(or less than average) hunter in trouble.

Every year we get reports of super deer jumping over or ducking under arrows. What it really is . . .human error 99.999997% of the time. The error most likely can be traced back to "proper prep". The spin testing is critical. Even with everything perfect, I don't like to shoot my fixed blades more than 25-30 yards.

Be careful of shooting the thin bladed fixed blade broadheads into a target then taking them hunting. You can bend the blades ever so slightly upon impact or when pulling them out of a target. Your next shot can be way off. It takes very little bend of a blade to throw the arrow off by 6-8 inches.

I personally like the Slick Tricks. The blades are strong. The cutting surface is very good. The company stands behind their product as they have a great customer service team. Just got to make sure the arrow passes the spin testing and you are good to go.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

mchurch wrote:It sounds like the FOC is mainly an issue with fixed heads like the Slick Tricks. I should be fine with the EXcal x-act 100 grain.

That depends on which you buy, Mangus stingers and snuffers ss are spin tested before sold, G5 also these fly well with alum inserts, I adjust my scope to my bhs poi mine all hit the same, some brands will not fly good no matter what insert you use,JME

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Mangus stingers and snuffers ss are spin tested before sold,
How does that matter, Wes? Do you mean they come already mounted on arrows? Or, are you pointing out the mfgs quality control tests?
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

awshucks wrote:
How does that matter, Wes? Do you mean they come already mounted on arrows? Or, are you pointing out the mfgs quality control tests?
I agree awshucks . . .the spin testing brings out the flaws in the broadhead, the arrow shaft, the insert, and the fletching. Little things like too much glue on one side of the insert will show up in a off balanced arrow.

When spinning, pay particular attention to the tip of the broadhead. It should look like a very fine point. I had a couple of Wasps that the tips were cut off center . . .talk about not flying right. :roll: Some things you just can not correct . . .those are practice arrows. Stop the arrow with different vanes on top and see if it stays or falls.

BTW . . .I shoot a 125 grain broadhead with my alum. inserts. :D

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

awshucks wrote:

How about quailty control, with a life time warranty you win all the way around.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Got to be able to find them Wes . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, they are darn good broadheads. Just can't screw them on and start shooting. Can't do that with any broadhead and expect consistant results. It takes quality control from nock to tip . . .we are the QC guys. :P

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen