awshucks - I have some (bad?) news for you

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

awshucks - I have some (bad?) news for you

Post by wabi »

I did it this morning.................
I finally replaced the Doghouse blind. :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I had the entry "door" sewn across the top since the zipper fell apart and a velcro strap on the side to hold it closed. :roll: I decided it was too much trouble to get in and out of this way, so I took the doghouse clone (can't remember the brand name, but it's the same construction and slightly larger) down to the food plot and set it up where the Doghouse had set for all these years.

I did the same window paint job on the new blind last year inside my shop and let it "air out" for a few weeks. The windows are painted black on the outside so it looks similar with the windows open or closed. :wink:
I noticed a couple years ago that deer would often ignore the blind (watching from my tree stand) with the windows closed, but watch it closely as they approached the food plot if I left the windows open. I figured the big "black holes" was catching their attention, so I painted the exterior of the windows black so it looked the same with the windows open OR closed. It seemed to work fine last season. I had several deer walk into the food plot and never give it a second glance when I was inside with the windows open.

Couldn't bring myself to throw the old Doghouse in the trash, though. So I set it over the shooting bench to keep it dry. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
RichJ

Re: awshucks - I have some (bad?) news for you

Post by RichJ »

A heartwrenching touching tail of a man and his blind. Lol
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I PAINT MY BLIND WINDOWS ALSO..

PS -- GOOD STORY :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Migabby wrote:I PAINT MY BLIND WINDOWS ALSO..

PS -- GOOD STORY :lol: :lol: :lol:

X2
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

RichJ wrote:A heartwrenching touching tail of a man and his blind. Lol
To MUCH, no more. :lol: :lol: :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'll refund the shipping you paid for a video of it burning! Right after you got it, I busted my buns to get a hub type. Couldn't open the damn thing, my arms weren't long enough or something.

Another buddy was over and saw a fat boy ladder stand I'd taken down. He wanted it in the worst way, and since I hunt his place in Hot springs once in a while, let him trade me out of it w/ another Doghouse.

Funny stuff, right? Get's better. Turns out the supposed Doghouse is a Penthouse or some such bs, looks like a camo high rise compared to the Doghouse.

Recall my problem w/ doghouse was rocky terrain and wind blowing it all over Arkansas? It got offed on some charity quest for disabled hunters on another forum. Good riddance!

So, there I am no blind at all. What's the cheapest most common pos one can get? You guessed 'er Lester, another Doghouse, lol. When this one irritates me one time too many [and it will] I'll give you 1st crack at it Mike!

Oh yeah, the guy in HS lost his place.
"Eze 18:21"
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Now he's gettin Teste AH!
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

RichJ wrote:A heartwrenching touching tail of a man and his blind. Lol
That's good!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

What a touching story...unfortunately, it's about time I pull the plug on my Doghouse. This last year was just too rough on her and I'm not sure she's got another one left in her.

She's been in these bottoms for 7 years, 4 of those years it flooded. But through it all, she was always standing there, waiting for me like a loyal dog. This year however, it was obvious when we walked up to her that she wasn't doing too well.

I thought about putting a match to her, but I'd sooner shoot Ole Yeller than burn her. Maybe I'll just put her in a trash sack and send her on her way. Maybe those Hefty cinch sacks are really body bags for Doghouse blinds?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Hell no ! I would run a couple rods or posts into the ground on the inside to support it. Not like you have to fight to get it back into the carrying case. Make it huntable again. You could write a book about that 1 too.

One Last Hunt
A loving tail of a man who brought life to a old dying friend for 1 more season.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Well, there's more to this story for you newer folks. I took the one Wabi has on hog hunt in La. Had to get new rods for it from Ameristep as it had blown around for a week and trashed the ones that came w/ it originally.

I couldn't set the damn thing up, rods were way too long to fit the sewn in pockets When I got home I called them up to see why rods didn't fit. I was told: many sub-contractors make them, rod length varies from: 92" to 102" w/ about 3 lengths in between.

You may have to 'cut down' replacement rods. Do NOT try to dremel around thin bungee cord going thru the rods! Trust me on this one, untieing the knot, remove bungee, use mono fish line to reinstall is a lot less of a PITA than finding new bungee that size.

In retrospect, I believe one can get by w/ cutting two rods vs all four. The two cut method worked better on 2nd set of replacement rods for me. Slow learner.

All this love/hate for a $49 blind. :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

The rods are broken again. Both of them snapped when I moved it, but I set it up over the shooting bench anyway. :roll:
Took a pic when I was going by on the tractor today. (finished bushhogging the fields for the landowner)

The pointy topped shooting bench cover -
46.JPG
wabi
Kelley

Re: aw shucks - I have some (bad?) news for you

Post by Kelley »

Put a bow-fishing kit on your bow and you can target practice without getting wet. :D
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire