70 years old and wants to use an xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

70 years old and wants to use an xbow

Post by longwinters »

I have a good friend that is 70 and wants to bowhunt with his grandsons. The whole bunch are avid hunters and trappers. He asked me what I thought about some bows his grandsons were recommending (they had done the internet search and read something or another in Sports Afield (or one of those mags). They were pushing the compound xbows etc... and I had no problem with that. I was glad he wanted to hunt with his grandsons during bow season.

I offered to come over with my Exocet, shooting stix and a target to let him see what shooting an xbow was all about. We talked about the bow itself, safety, arrows, broadheads, the scope etc...I took a shot at 20 yds and then cocked and loaded it for him.

1st arrow dead center bull. 2nd arrow dead center bull. 3rd arrow dead center bull. He was amazed and I could see the thrill in his eyes when he could shoot something for the 1st time and do that well.

He called me tonight and wants to get an Excal, I am thinking he will go with the Axiom package. He has severe neck problems and suffers with migrains so he will not be able to cock it himself. He had read about cockers, and their prices...but I told him his grandsons could cock it for him (they always hunt together). And the odds of taking 2 or more shots at a deer were very slim. And with his "eagle eyes" he would only need one shot anyway.

I share all of this just to encourage you all, the way you have encouraged me, to take the time to let people shoot your Excals, answer their questions....and see the twinkle in their eyes when they see how much fun xbows can be.

Long
Kelley

Re: 70 years old and wants to use an xbox

Post by Kelley »

I will be 67 next month and have been hunting with a crossbow for 32 years(bum shoulder). I hope to be able to continue at least 32 more. :D
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Meat Hunter

Re: 70 years old and wants to use an xbow

Post by Meat Hunter »

Long,

I am not as old as some of the folk on this forum, but 68 is old enough to give you my personal opinion.

I purchased my first crossbow when I was 60 and I purchased my second crossbow when I was 62 - both are now sold. The first because it was much too heavy for my old bones to carry and the second because with my age-related reduction of muscle mass, I could not comfortably cock it.

From my experience, Excalibur is the perfect crossbow for me because none of them weigh more than 6.5 lbs.

I currently shoot an older model Vixen because at only 150 lbs. draw weight, I can easily cock it; were with a 175 lb. Axiom, I have to struggle just a bit. There is nothing in North America that cannot be taken with a 285 fps Vixen. When Fred Bear began taking dangerous game in Africa; his bows were shooting less than 200 fps. We had a man on the moon before any bow (vertical or horizontal) shot faster than 200 fps. I have been told that the largest Canadian moose was taken with a Vixen.

From my experience and my experience alone, I would recommend a Vixen II with a stock extender (if needed).

With this bow, he will have a trouble-free bow that he can hunt with the rest of his life and more importantly - he will enjoy the crossbow hunting experience.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im not sure the crankaroo will fit on the vixen. Someone here will set me straight if im wrong. This would be the only negative on the vixen model.

*EDIT: I just looked at excals homepage and from I can tell the vixen LOOKS like it may have the hole in the rear of the stock for a crankaroo........????
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup use the crankaroo
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

My Vixen has the hole in the back of the stock to accommodate a Crank-A-Roo. When I purchased it, I asked Rob Dykeman to sell me one. Rob suggested that before I purchased a crank that I should first see how easy/hard it was for me to cock it with a rope cocker.

By what Rob said and the hole in my stock, I would assume that a Crank-A-Roo would fit a Vixen, if needed. The new Vixen II's may be different. If needed, I would verify this first.

I am pretty broken down with arthritis in my back and shoulders and although not as easy as it might have been when I was a 20-30 year old, I am still able to cock my Vixen with a rope cocker without much difficulty at all.

Suggestion: Locate a retail store that has both a Vixen and an Axiom in stock and let the crossbow choose the man. The only caveat that I would offer would be that cocking a crossbow in a controlled environment like a retail store might be easier than cocking it in the dark and in the field. My personal choice would be for me to error on the side of lower poundage and not regret it later.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

You've done a good deed and have one cute pooch. :D
Northwoods

Post by Northwoods »

My instincts felt a Vixen II would be a good choice also... 8)

We hunt in Cedar swamps and nearby thickets here in the Upper Peninsula...the shots at Deer/Bear are often under but seldom over 20 yds.

Heck! Lar...Your huntin partner (me) will be 65yrs old in Jan and just starting to shoot my Excal! :D

wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My Dad is 76 years young and he loves my Vixen. He finds the shorter stock alot more comfortable and easier to control. My Dad is 6 feet and he has no problem cocking it with a rope cocker.
munch

Post by munch »

i think a vixen 2 as well. we bought one for my 13 year old daughter who would not be 100lbs.she can cock it with the rope cocker with ease we did shorted the rope a little for her so she has to pull the string back a couple inches before she can hook the second end.good luck to your friend
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

This 70 yr old (in Nov) hunts two Excals: Phoenix and Vortex. Both are fun but the Phoenix is my go-to bow. I can still cock it easily despite multiple surgeries on back and both shoulders....but there is a crankaroo waiting in the wings for when I'm older. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!