Vortex Mini Max BH

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JimM

Vortex Mini Max BH

Post by JimM »

I hear a lot about BH on this site. But I've never heared anybody talk about the Vortex. I'm new to CB's but I've used them on my Compound. Any feed back from the forum ?
I've had horible luck with Rage two blade opening up in flight. I have shot the pratice tip that comes with rage and it flys well but i think rage are out. G5 ive had good luck with.

Just not sure what route to take. looking for some feed back on the Vortex mini max BH

Thanks
sumner4991

Re: Vortex Mini Max BH

Post by sumner4991 »

I only show one kill for the MiniMax and that was reported last year by Ibex(forum member). The deer travelled 40 yards.

I have wanted to try out the MiniMax IIIs, but, they just recently added a 125 grain. Right now I have all the broadheads I need for a couple of seasons.

I have not heard anything bad about them. The only thing I would change . . .I would use a dental elastic instead of the O-ring.

They look good . . .go with a 3 blade.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
PA_DeerHunter

Re: Vortex Mini Max BH

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

I like them, but now use Jackhammer 125's

When Vortex broadheads first came out, I used the 2.5" two blade version for several years. I didn't like the three blade version that came out later...the center ferrule was just way too thick for my taste. I thought it looked more like a 40 caliber bullet with blades, so I stayed with the sleek two blade. Never had poor results.

My first buck went 20 yards. The following year I shot a buck at 28 yards and it ran another 50 and dropped. They tell you not to shoot angled shots with these heads, but this was a steep angled shot that entered high in the back, just forward of the left kidney, and it exited through the front rigth brisket. The blood trail was unbelievable. And the last deer I shot with the Vortex broadhead was a 10 point basket rack, but large bodied deer. Double lunged him and he went just under 70 yards, and dropped. Three deer, all under 100 yard recovery. All these were shot from a 65 lb. PSE Fireflight bow years ago.

I've since switched to Wasp Jackhammers, 125 gr. because of the sleek ferrule and 3 blades at 1 3/4" cutting diameter. The exit hole from these Jackhammer mechs is just as big as the rage, even better (I think), and they fly like field points. With 88 ft lbs from my Excal., they blow through everything. But the Vortex broadheads were great for me. I still keep one in the quiver if I see a groundhog amble by.