I thought I was ready

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

I thought I was ready

Post by ninepointer »

Like most people around here, I've been waiting, planning, day dreaming, purchasing & practicing for months now in anticpation of deer season.

Yet, here I am, less then 3 weeks from opening day and feeling like I should have been more on top of things. Sure, as of this past Saturday, I've got 3 of 3 tree stands up. But I managed to throw my back out in the process and that is sure to complicate things. I still have to put the finishing touches on shooting lanes and yardage markers.

Then there's that ground blind that I've yet to build; it was supposed to be in place last month to give the deer time to get accustomed to it.

Oh jeebus! I just realized that I haven't tested my new broadheads yet!

Sure, three more weeks "sounds" like plenty of time to get my hunting affairs in order, but life is busier than that. When I start taking into consideration other commitments, I think I've only got about 3 more days!!!

I hesitate to call it "stress"; but I think you folks know what I mean. Are you feeling it?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
lscha

Re: I thought I was ready

Post by lscha »

Sounds like me, but I work better under pressure. I have a book on dealing with procrastination but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Only one option . . .blow off those other committments. :twisted: :lol:

Good luck getting it done. I'm ready . . .just waiting on cooler weather.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
M&M

Post by M&M »

sounds about like a normal pre-season
M&M
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

lscha wrote:Sounds like me, but I work better under pressure. I have a book on dealing with procrastination but I haven't gotten to it yet.
You must be my long lost sister. :D :D :D I am the same way.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like we're paddlin' the same boat!!
Every year is the same for me as well.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

bugs wrote:I am thinking you may want to use the doghouse and sit Queen Been in the corner. I only had my blind up for a few days before for turkey season and the first time I used it there were deer tracks right in front of it and then the a couple days later 4 deer walked 40 yards in front of it while I watched so you may be okay. It may not take them so long to adjust.

I am ready, just need to pop up my blind. I was going to do it yesterday was frustrated by the time I cut down the dead tree in my shooting path. It was only about 6 inches but hardwood is HARD!! even with a bow saw!
I have a 18 volt battery reciprocating saw with a 9 inch pruning blade. Makes fast and easy work of any wood up to seven inches.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I'm definately in the same boat!

I went out yesterday and put up two stands. First went nice and easy and in what I hope will be a perfect staging area near a small creek. About 25 feet in the air.

The second one was much tougher to set up because the small woodlot I hunt was logged last fall and they left a mess in the woods. Physically tired, I managed to get the stand up but I'm not completely satisfied with it just yet. Only about 15 feet in the air, but near an apple tree so I'm hopeful.

I have one more stand to put up as well. Not sure when that one will get up.

To all that I still have to sight in my Varizone for 30+ yards.......

So much excitement.....so little time!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by groundpounder »

If I would have done some pre season scouting I would have seen that they did not open the gate to the section of WMA that I hunt (unless you walk a couple miles). Oh and I also have some new broadheads ordered that I will need to try out.
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I just feel fer ya, yer way behind & hurtin no way to catch up now. Just take it one day at a time & get done what must be done. Get the rest as you can get to it as feeling better
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

CDN Taxman wrote:I'm definately in the same boat!

I went out yesterday and put up two stands. First went nice and easy and in what I hope will be a perfect staging area near a small creek. About 25 feet in the air.

The second one was much tougher to set up because the small woodlot I hunt was logged last fall and they left a mess in the woods. Physically tired, I managed to get the stand up but I'm not completely satisfied with it just yet. Only about 15 feet in the air, but near an apple tree so I'm hopeful.

I have one more stand to put up as well. Not sure when that one will get up.

To all that I still have to sight in my Varizone for 30+ yards.......

So much excitement.....so little time!

Mike
My boat is slowly filling with water!! :?

Was gonna put up stands this weekend but just found out that Brat #3 has her first basketball tourney this weekend and I can't (wouldn't) miss that. Will have to try an get em up one night after work instead.

Also still need to sight in Varizone out to 40 yards.

Did manage to get some good scouting in the last few weeks and tonight. Found a couple good "killin' trees" to put my stands in.

HURRY.....HURRY.....HURRY!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
strum

Post by strum »

Just thought i would put my 2 cents in ..
Thats why its called "HUNTING"
Hunting time..hunting a place to hunt ..hunting money to finance the hunt,,hunting a wife who agrees you need to hunt..hunting equiment that will work for you ..hunting
.....the list goes on and on..oh i forgot ,,HUNTING DEER!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

I never get 100% ready because I'm constantly changing my setup trying to improve the odds.

I have a ladder stand & blind set up at the food plot/feeder location I hunt, but from the drop in pictures on the game cam I'm guessing acorns are dropping. :roll:

Now it's deciding whether to scout the oaks and move some of my other stands or sit it out at the feeder. :lol: :lol:
wabi
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

You’re lucky your season doesn’t start for three weeks. At least you have some time. Ours started last Friday. I just mounted and almost sighted in my new Verizone today for field points. I’m pretty close but I’ll need another couple hours or so to finish that up and feel comfortable. As for broadheads, I haven’t even taken them out of the packaging much less shoot any. And, I still have to finish splitting my firewood for this year as it is supposed to rain much of the rest of this week and part of next.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Woohoo! Now I AM ready! Well, almost. I just remembered something :roll:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount