did the green horn thing ,,

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: did the green horn thing ,,

Post by sumner4991 »

I've gotten into the habit of checking the seating of the arrow to the nock just before shooting. So, just before I let off the safety, I slide my left hand fingers along the arrow to make sure it's seated properly. This motion takes one second and I do it as I'm getting ready to aim. Once I clear my hand, then I let the safety off.

Initially, it seemed arkward, but, the routine goes pretty smooth now. You just got to make sure your hand has cleared . . .otherwise you have bigger problems than a dry-fire. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the club! The club is constantly growing, and consists of some of the best members of this forum! :D You're in good company!

Distraction is usually the culprit - shooting with others, carrying on a conversation, taking a phone call, anything that takes divides our attention can cause us to miss a step. I think each of us was "sure" that we loaded an arrow when we D/Fed. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

These are the times that try man's souls...and appreciate Excalibur support.
ANY other bow mfg and-as secondhand owner-you'd be out in the cold. Every dryfire I've seen, as well as my own :D, was due to distracted use. Live and learn. Develop a shooting routine for every shot: cock the bow. Engage safety. Load the bow. Check to see if arrow is all the way back. Shoulder. Check hand placement on forearm. Etc DO IT EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT>>>EXACTLY THE SAME, and will NEVER do that again.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
damatheny

Post by damatheny »

It happened to me last year, only I went to look for the arrow I did'nt shoot :lol:
I'll think of something witty later!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Yep...I've dry fired too. Better at a target than the big buck you've been after for four years.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
RAGS

Post by RAGS »

My mantra...
"cock, lock and load"
I say it every time I reach for the cocking aid - sometimes even out loud - get some weird looks but it works.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I am fortunate. I have done it twice with no damage to my Exomag. The second time was this weekend when I was lowering the string by hand on my gator hunt (didn't bring a field-tipped arrow). They string slipped from my wet fingers, catching by bird-finger in the proccess... extremely painful! I was afraid to look in fear that it was missing.

My gator hunt ended due to weather... my first tag sandwitchon an alligator. :(
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Hi Gary! You know that you can use your rope cocker to let the string down?
Check out the rope cocker video here: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/conten ... nal_videos
(My apologies if you already know all about that.)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.