Bowhunting Around Standing Corn

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Bowhunting Around Standing Corn

Post by BryanOney »

Some people hate hunting around standing corn. Some people love it. I have not liked it or done much of it, but a friend of mine says some of his best bow hunts for nice bucks are around standing corn. Do you like it or hate it. If you like it how do you set up, how do you play the wind, and is there a time of year it is the best.
Farmer

Re: Bowhunting Around Standing Corn

Post by Farmer »

In the early season I do well along standing corn. I try to set up in the edge of woodlots or thick fencerows. If there is to fencerows converging and a woodlot double bonus. The deer have everything. Food, and plenty of security.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I actually like to bowhunt IN the corn! I've only been able to do this a few times as Corn is not the preferable crop in my hunting area. But of the times I did hunt it, I would still hunt across the rows of corn. Go from one row to another, taking a peek up and down the rows before stepping into them.

Normally you can only see around 15 to 20 yards each way, depending on how clean the rows are. I always chose windy days and hunted downwind. The noise from the corn in the wind will cover your noise and if you're downwind, you don't have to worry about them smelling you. It's amazing how close you can get to them in these type of conditions. It's just so freakin' awesome when you peek into a row and look down and then up the row and there's a deer bedded between the rows 10 yards away!

You can also see a little further sometimes by getting down close to the ground and looking up and down the rows. This will sometimes put you below the leaves of the corn. But again, it all depends on how clean the rows are.

When I reach the side of the field, I just move up 15 to 20 yards, re-enter the cornfield and still hunt back across the other way. I do this until I've covered the whole field or until time runs out. (some of you guys in the Corn states could be hunting days in one cornfield due to the size of the fields up there :shock: ) It sure beats sitting in a stand! :D

In the past, you would see guys like Dan Fitzgerald hunting this way, but I haven't read about this technique or seen anyone do it in recent times.

This could be hard to do with a xbow, ain't never tried it with one. But with a vertical bow, especially a recurve, it's very exciting.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
greenfishhunter

Post by greenfishhunter »

I am new to xbow hunting so I haven't done this yet, but I have read about this in a deer hunting book and now I am interested in trying this out. I still have a Cornfield Camo 3 in 1 parka from past waterfowling hunting that I could wear when doing this. Plenty of corn in MN to hunt in and around.
catcher

Post by catcher »

just wait until you are standing in the corn and you fire that bow , and those limbs open up and smack the stocks of corn. Things get exciting. :lol: :lol: Not that I would know :oops:
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
greenfishhunter

Post by greenfishhunter »

Thanks for the warning! :lol:
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i love it when thy pick the first few rows or head lands as we call them the deer walk out at cl;ose range got to love it two or three weeks away for us yet DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver