Bolt cutters, very disappointed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CHski65

Bolt cutters, very disappointed

Post by CHski65 »

I purchased some bolt cutters for my phoenix. The groups at 20yds off the bench are inconsistent. very disappointed. I will be going back to slick tricks or Wasp boss sst. Outof my phoenix they both shoot outstandingl groups.
vixenmaster

Re: Bolt cutters, very disappointed

Post by vixenmaster »

Can you tell us what went wrong ? I am curious, couple yrs ago i used one to kill a 6 pt out about 25 yds pass-through he was dead in 50 yds max. Were yer arrows all over the place ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

what arrows ar u using if aluminum they could be bent...i have been getting good grouping with slick tricks and muzzys 4 blades
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

We've taken lots of deer with them up here in Northern Ontario. I've taken two with no problems whatsover. Must be something wrong with your arrows, your bow, or your shooting!
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
Cwelkman

Post by Cwelkman »

Michael Stogre wrote:We've taken lots of deer with them up here in Northern Ontario. I've taken two with no problems whatsover. Must be something wrong with your arrows, your bow, or your shooting!
WOW!! what a prick answer. Maybe his bow just doesn't like bolt cutters.
Proud owner of an 08 Vortex.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Usually when yer arrows shoot well with A brand BH's & at 100 gr, then you try another BH say heavier & they won't shoot a tight group. There is a reason why ? you must find out if you plan on staying with that BH. In yer case i have to say something to do with the arrow fletching. Yer fletching seems to do ok with yer lighter weight BH's but not the 150 gr. Are you using straight fletch ? Maybe its the vane type or length ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) You beat me to it vixenmaster :)
But that is one of the first questions I ask myself if trying to sight someones bow in . If you are getting good groups with field tips but not a certain broadhead . Then I ask is there enough offset , is the blades on the head just too big for the fletching to control . Are the blades solids then it takes more fletching to steer the arse end of the arra . :)
But if broadhead A shoots good for you , please go back to it for the sake of the animal to be harvested .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

WOW!! what a prick answer. Maybe his bow just doesn't like bolt cutters.[/quote]

Hey hey,

No need to get testy. He's just giving his two-cents and he has every right to do so. There are only a few variables when bow shooting, the shooter, the bow (and components), the arrow (and components), and the environment. From personal experience, I shoot better on some days than others; we can all have bad days. The inclusion of the shooter as a possible cause is not a "pr*** answer" it may be a reality.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Hey Cwelkman , the Excalibur crossbow forum is the #1 forum on the net for a reason. We don't resort to name calling if we don't like the answer to a question. Sir I highly recommend that you reevaluate your unwelcome attitude here on Excalibur forum as there are ladies and children that visit this forum and your name calling and vulgar language is way out of line :x .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Spot on Ray, X2.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Brothers, we're all on the same side here! Let's share and have fun doing it! I love this forum because it lacks the fighting and bickering of other forums. I just overlook "prick answers" because we sometimes misread others written commments. Just like my pal here at work; if you don't know his personality, you'd think he was a prick.

Happy Hunt'n, bruthas!
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

This is exactly what is wrong with other forums. We have enough people trying to tear down our style of hunting without us adding to the mix. We all share the same love for hunting and our Excalibur crossbows and, as seen more times as I have fingers and toes...we care for each other.
Everyone has a bad day, and can get their rears on their shoulders from time to time. But as said above, we are the number one forum on the market simply because of the way we conduct ourselves and how we interact with each other. We share each others joys and pains, triumphs and tragedies and we are here for each other when needed. Simply put, if you are having a bad day and short tempered and find that you can't get along with the other forum members and answer questions soberly and intelligently the please find another forum where this kind of action is more widely accepted. Because it isn’t here
CHski65

Post by CHski65 »

To those of you with constructive input thanks. My set up weas the BH with 2 degreee offset and 3 inch vanes. I also switched to 4 inch vanes to no avail. i checked all screws, limb bolts, etc. I also e mailed excailbur and was informed my orginal setup would be ok with BH. I shot thes of a bench rest and I consider my self to be above average shooter. However, I intend to go back to slick tricks or the Wasp boss, at that distance my X bow with shoot them i inch consistently.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Maybe a bad run of bolt cutters, it happens fletchings, glue, so why not with bhs

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
morton

Post by morton »

Hey,sheck your brace height,I have found one twist either way will help steady the flight of the arrow! ishoot 100 gr. wasp jackhammers,tried 100 gr thunder bolts, didnt fly good, went up 2 twist on b.h.,they shot as good as the wasp,good luck, morton