"Deer Thugs" Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

"Deer Thugs" Questions

Post by Sopchoppy »

Just watched the "Deer Thugs" show and they asked 2 interesting questions.
1. Have hunters become too obsessed with antler size and/or score? All but one of the "Thugs" agreed hunters have become too obsessed with antler size. The other one danced around the question because he runs a trophy hunting business. One made a very good point that "trophy hunters" who take their children hunting trying to get a trophy on the first hunt, and won't let the kid shoot anything that does'nt score enough, take the fun out of the hunt for the child. These are the kids who grow up NOT being a hunter.
2. Would you still hunt if all antlers were the same size? All did answer yes to this question as they just enjoy the hunt. It is about enjoying God's creation and the thrill of just seeing a deer or other wildlife.

Thoughts/Comments????
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
vixenmaster

Re: "Deer Thugs" Questions

Post by vixenmaster »

All this up to the moment Bull poop of monster antlers was started yrs ago by the Boone & Crocket & Pope & Young follows & twits going gaga over danged headgear on animals. Now everyone with a video camera wants to shoot the big one's & sell the DVD's & get on TV!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've never heard of the show you mentioned. I generally have a disdain for most outdoor TV shows. Few, very few, are actually hunters.

But I also believe that too much attention is being put on head gear. This has been fed by the multiple companies pushing everything from the latest and greatest Doe pee to supposedly scent elimination clothes or spray. Not to mention ego driven people who only hunt Deer farms and parade around as hunters.

I've also seen shows like you've talked about where the "host" wouldn't let their kids or spouse shoot a small buck because they wanted them to wait for something bigger. I agree that this makes hunting less attractive to those just getting started.

Every person has to make their own decision as to what is a "shooter" deer. And anyone looking down their nose at someone who shoots a buck smaller than what they would take is a .... "tick".

Besides, in some areas of the Country, a 2 1/2 year old buck may be a real trophy even though he might only have a 6 point rack. Don't worry yourself with what the other guy or gal is shooting. Just worry about yourself.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I grew up long before TV hunting shows were even thought of. Well, I also grew up when many homes did not even own a TV. Now in our home we watch very, very little. I don't think our television has been on more than 10 hours per year for the last 20 or 30 years.

That being said, no, I have not watched this show you mentioned. However, when I began hunting deer in the 50's, the emphasis was....on antlers! Not much has changed there.

Would I still enjoy the hunt if all antlers were the same size? For sure I would. One only has to look at all the hunts we've been on and didn't shoot a deer or passed up a little deer; buck or doe.

About the kids father's wanting them to hold off. That seems to me to be just a part of training a youngster what that hunt was about. If one pays big dollars to hire an outfitter and/or a guide then one should expect a bigger than normal rack and not be afraid of holding off. That should have been discussed before the hunt and then reinforced during the hunt. Perhaps a minimum size would have been the goal. Would this stop the child from enjoying future hunts? I doubt it but I suppose it could. For sure it very well might stop some enjoyment of hunting without a guide. That could be a detriment to the child's future as a hunter.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
JimM

Post by JimM »

Last time i checked I couldn't eat them antlers. :D
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I don't care for most DEER hunting shows. Most of the time this "hunter" shoots a deer in 80 degree weather in the middle of the day, checks the blood trail and then says " I think I will back out and come back in the morning to find the deer. I wounder how many deer are waisted because of this? It is bad enough to have to find a deer the next day in very cold weather and hope the meat isn't spoiled. JMO
I am a hunter and proud of it.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Hey Spitfire, worse yet is going back in the morning to find the deer has been eaten by coyotes or wolves.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bout the only thing i use the antlers for is stiring the venison stew i just made from him :lol: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Hey B logger at least the meat didn't go to waste.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

When I grew up a six pointer was an awsome buck to harvest! Now with the antler regulations we have bigger bucks but father and fewer between. Here in Pa. a junior hunter can take a spike on up.

I personly would like to see the youngsters get one under thier belt to keep the drive going. If a junior hunter had to wait for a BIG 8 or better they would loose interest in the sport quickly. Antler soup isnt all that! I've taken some nice deer over the years, nothing like some take but still trophy's in my eyes. The whole antler thing is over rated! Havent had venison in the freezer for two years, left alot of legal ones pass hoping for bigger-better. Not this year!

I would hunt deer even if the racks were all the same, jmo

Crispy
Crispy
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I am a Meat Hunter. 'If it's Brown, It's Down' and shortly in the freezer. If a big one wanders by within 35 yards I will put one on the wall, if a small one wanders by! Only trophies on my wall are fish. I have no problem with Trophy hunters, 'to each his own'. We both love to be in the woods.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree with B-logger . . .nothing has changed as far as emphsis on horns. Been chasing horns and shooting does since 1976. There's way more deer now. Bigger horns. Bigger does.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Kelley wrote:I am a Meat Hunter. 'If it's Brown, It's Down' and shortly in the freezer. If a big one wanders by within 35 yards I will put one on the wall, if a small one wanders by! Only trophies on my wall are fish. I have no problem with Trophy hunters, 'to each his own'. We both love to be in the woods.
Kelley

X2. Would I like to kill a buck for the wall? Sure, but I'm not going to get obsessed over it. We have fresh back straps slow cooked in onions and gravy for dinner tonight. The came from a four point buck that I harvest last week and I have no regrets and it's never an issue until someone else makes it an issue. If you have some bigguns on you place, by all means, go after em but don't chastise me for shooting what the law will allow me to shoot.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

my avatar is the only one i have on my wall, he scored 102" so what big deal....but he is a nice to hang on the wall :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

My lovely wife of 22 years, killed her first buck in 2000. It was a nice 4 point that made some very good eating. I mounted the antlers on a wall mount for her and put it on the wall with my (18 1/2 inside) 8 point that I killed in 1998. When she looks at it on the wall, a smile comes to her face and you would would think that it was a world record the way she talks about how the hunt went that day. She remembers every little detail of the hunt. That is how a trophy should be measured. Not the size but the experience. :D