Easton Power Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryDowdy

Easton Power Bolts

Post by GaryDowdy »

I just got some new Power Bolts today. I always take a Sharpie and color the end of my inserts, then check the squareness with a G5 A.S.D tool. Then I weigh my broadheads again and get an average weight, then the arrows. With my 100 grn. Muzzy MX-3's my total arrow weight is averaging 417 grns. I build my own arrows for compounds and recurve bows. I guess the only way to lighten the load now is to re-fletch them with Blazer vanes like I use on my hunting arrows for the compound. That should bump my FOC up a bit, too.

Where are you guys/gals getting your 350 grn. arrows/bolts? (I always refer to them as arrows because they are fletched)
Normous

Re: Easton Power Bolts

Post by Normous »

GT II's are a bit lighter and you can get them to 350 gr. Blazer vanes are a good start and cutting the rear insert in half or more will shave some grains too ( I then uniform them to a equal weight using a scale and sandpaper) . I have also drilled out the rear insert for a few more grains.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I use alum easton 2114's, 19in, long alum inserts both ends 4in feathers, I cut the nock to get the weight where I want it, no prob with flight.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks, Guys! I need to approach the crossbow as I did with other bows all these years. Listening to others and learning from them, reading everything I can I find, and experimentation.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Why exactly do you want lighter? I'm shooting 405 gr (GT's Lazer II, 110 gr brass insert, alum nocks and Blazers). At +18% FOC. hey fly great from my Phoenix and Vortex ...out to 50yards...further than I'll ever shoot at game. Using LumiZones on both bows, they hit exactly the same spot with respective aim point. If it ain't perfection, it's very close to it.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Northwoods

Post by Northwoods »

I am strictly hunting with my Phoenix and I am working hard to get mine HEAVIER...especially up front...for greater KE downrange and a quieter shot w/o STS or string silencers.

Right now I have 22" Victory Xbolts which shoot great with 90gr brass inserts and 100gr heads to reach 445gr. I just ordered some 110gr inserts to get me up to 465gr.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Oh, OK. I was assuming my Max-Zone scope was graduated based on a 350 grn arrow at 330 fps out of my Exomag. It groups deadly with and arrows at 435 grns out to 40 yards. I don't want to shoot at game out past 35 anyway. I just noticed my broadheads fall about two inches at forty. I sometimes get too obsessed with precision. My excal in an standing poistion, while tipped with field points destroys shafts out at forty and out at thirty at point of aim with broadheads. Will ruin shafts with BH's at forty as well just a little of point of aim. Deer-szed targets have and eight-inch Kill Zone... Don't know why I'm sweating the small stuff.

I am an expert archer with compounds; trying to get to that level with my crossbow, too. Not a lot of differences, very minor. Just learning and thankful for you guys and your schooling.
Normous

Post by Normous »

WOW, nice shooting GD !!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks! I barely noticed the damage at first. From all the years of archery I'm used to shaft-slapping. There was always the torn fletching or tell-tale broken nock or "Robin Hoods" from time to time. I almost missed the chipped flat nocks and splintering on the ends of the shafts on my crossbow arrows. I kinda got slack on my arrow inspections, finding some in my quiver.

Inspect your arrows often!! I could tell which arrows were struck with broadhead blades. In a competitive standing rifle stance, you can get impressive group with an Excalibur. All the other brands I shot this summer aren't quite as accurate. The Ten Points and Stryker are no where near as modestly priced, nor as accurate. I bought a compact pair of Stoney Point bipods (shooting sticks0 for my daughter to use while shooting the crossbow with me. I can make good use of them, too.

My daughter saw the Pink Vixen while I was online at home; now I have to get her one for Christmas!!! She wanted a compound bow to hunt with, while I was steering her towards starting out with a crossbow. She saw the Pink Vixen and wants to join me as a member of club Excalibur now.

Kids!!!