Gator Hunt Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Re: Gator Hunt Update

Post by theoldarcher »

Congrats Gary, I know that you enjoyed every minute of it. Hopefuly I will get one next year. I am trying to retire after the first of the year and if I do, I will have time on my hands to go and get one.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's .... nice pic's as well .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Nine foot, zero inches and between 300-350 lbs! Taken by Excalibur outfitted with Muzzy Gator Getter Gear!

GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I took him 09/26/10 around 4:30 A.M. I took several shots the day before, but I kept getting knots in my line leaving the retriever bottle and it stooped my arrows short. Earlier on the twenty-fifth, I shot a 12-plus footer in the head and it bounced off!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

congrads on the gator my friend! How do you skin him? LOL
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Very carefully, the skin is almost fused to the carcass. You cut two rows of scutes on each side and leave the belly scales intact for a rug.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

My gator had a black cat in its stomach!

I had one heck of an exciting hunt! My float bounced off the deck and wrapped around my reel handle and it about pulled me and my Excalibur into the drink! It jerked the whole front of the boat around and the two guys in the back who'd never gator hunted freaked out! It finally pulled my reel off and I grabbed the float. It was one helluva fight! The boats side swepted out; I couldn't get a shot with my pistol. I had to pull it up, tape its mouth shut, and me and Jim cut its spinal cord with my folding knife! It was looking around at us while we did it.

Put in for a tag- GA zone 8- and Jim can put you on one!