Clouds and silver linings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Clouds and silver linings

Post by theoldarcher »

If it hasn’t been enough lately that everyone in the house has had strep and a stomach virus for the past week, I had to go add to my problems a little more. I swear… the older I get the more careless I get. :(

I was in a hurry yesterday to go to the store and as I started to go out the front door, I grabbed the side of our big METAL front door intending to close it as I went out. Unfortunately, I forgot to get my finger out of the way in time and slammed it on my right ring finger. :shock: :cry:

Needless to say I realized too late that I should have used the door knob to close the door instead, because here I am…caught with my finger between the door and door frame. Luckily, my daughters were in the living room and heard my cry of pain. I don’t think that I have ever have come so close to passing out from pain before. :shock:

After a trip to the local urgent care, I found that I had managed to crush the first digit of my finger into about 6 pieces as well as spliting open my finger.
So where is the silver lining to this rain cloud? :?

I hunt with a crossbow instead of a vertical bow so it doesn’t keep me out of the woods. :D I may have to get my oldest girl to cock it for me a couple of days until the bleeding stops and the swelling goes down a little, but it won’t cancel my season as it would have shooting fingers or a release with a vertical bow. It don't hurt being left handed either. It just goes to show that there is a silver lining behind every cloud even if you brought on the rain clouds by being careless. :D
lscha

Re: Clouds and silver linings

Post by lscha »

Yikes! I bet that hurt. Reminds me of a very funny story of my own involving slammed fingers but don't want to hi-jack the thread. :lol: Glad you will still be hunting.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
M&M

Post by M&M »

Hey you got a great outlook on things I sure hope you heal up quickly. I once slamed my hand inside the doorjam of a car so I can relate to your pain
M&M
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

lscha wrote:Yikes! I bet that hurt. Reminds me of a very funny story of my own involving slammed fingers but don't want to hi-jack the thread. :lol: Glad you will still be hunting.
Don't worry about my thread, It would help make me feel like I wasn't the only one. :D Say what every you like.
strum

Post by strum »

Man im sorry to hear that ..I pray in the name of our Lord Jesus that you will heal quickly and have full motion in both fingers..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
lscha

Post by lscha »

theoldarcher wrote:
lscha wrote:Yikes! I bet that hurt. Reminds me of a very funny story of my own involving slammed fingers but don't want to hi-jack the thread. :lol: Glad you will still be hunting.
Don't worry about my thread, It would help make me feel like I wasn't the only one. :D Say what every you like.
This story should make everyone feel like a rocket scientist:
I was 17 and typically, boy crazy. One night I drove my very clean '56 Chevy to the local party store for milk. I went into the store and as I was checking out, I saw some guys pull up in the parking lot next to my car. I noticed they were around my age (maybe older) and they were just laughing and having a good time in the car. I exited the store and didn't want them to think I had noticed them. Assuming they were looking at me, I opened my car door, put the milk on the front seat and pulled the car door shut by grabbing the top of the door. (trying to be cool) The door shut tight with my fingers caught good. That hurt so bad I saw stars and it made me catch my breath, but........I was so embarrassed about making a fool of myself, I turned the key with my other hand to start the car, THEN I opened the door and released my hand. I'm not sure if there were fits of laughter in the car next to me or not because I NEVER looked in their direction as I backed out of the parking space. :lol:

A newer model car probably would have chopped them right off.
Last edited by lscha on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I slammed My thumb in the car door :shock: and ended up having to grow a new thumbnail after the old one fell off from all the swelling and bleeding.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but I'm glad you are positive about the situation and found a "silver lining" in your cloud! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sorry you mangled yer finger, dang that had to of hurt! Pray fer a fast recovery & good to knowed you shoot a CB
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Yea those digits hurt. Be glad you didn't have a ring on, could have been worse.

Did you invent any new words?

Silverlining opening beer is good physical therapy.
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Glad to hear that no serious damage was done and glad to hear that you'll be able to salvage hunting season.

Here's one to make you feel better. A few years ago I was framing 2x4 walls while finishing my basement. I was using a pneumatic nail gun to assemble the footer studs.(You do-it-yourselfs out there know where I'm heading with this one) Unfortunately on one of the shots I had a double tap. As soon as I did it something scratched at the back of my mind that something wasn't right. I looked down to see that I shot a 3 1/2" framing nail through the back of my left hand.

Silver lining:
Fortunately my wife took a rare day off from her work that day and was at home when it happened. Secondly, there were no broken blood vessels or bones.

I'm definitely not in the Rocket Scientist club. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by strider23 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

ouch dude, at least ya won't get that new cocker rope bloody :wink: ....slow down think, take a deap breath before ya take that next step....heal up and post some pic's of some deer.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

theoldarcher wrote:
i wacked my knee with a hammer at full power that i could swing it just above the knee cap, passed out within 20 seconds :roll: ....was walking out the door one time and wacked the door jam with my knee cap, that dropped me to the deck real fast and passed out 20 seconds later :roll: ....should i go on :lol: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

lscha wrote:
theoldarcher wrote:
This story should make everyone feel like a rocket scientist:
I was 17 and typically, boy crazy. One night I drove my very clean '56 Chevy to the local party store for milk. I went into the store and as I was checking out, I saw some guys pull up in the parking lot next to my car. I noticed they were around my age (maybe older) and they were just laughing and having a good time in the car. I exited the store and didn't want them to think I had noticed them. Assuming they were looking at me, I opened my car door, put the milk on the front seat and pulled the car door shut by grabbing the top of the door. (trying to be cool) The door shut tight with my fingers caught good. That hurt so bad I saw stars and it made me catch my breath, but........I was so embarrassed about making a fool of myself, I turned the key with my other hand to start the car, THEN I opened the door and released my hand. I'm not sure if there were fits of laughter in the car next to me or not because I NEVER looked in their direction as I backed out of the parking space. :lol:

A newer model car probably would have chopped them right off.
I bet you wish you still had that car Ischa! I wish I did!

Alot of painful stories here!!! Ouch!!!
Why ride when you can walk!
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

There should be a club for this. I will carry a big scar til I die from a similar incident. As long as you can hunt, life is good tho!
In the Wind.......