interesting picture

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

interesting picture

Post by wabi »

Hunted with my son along yesterday evening, and we checked the feeder on the way out. I pulled the SD card this evening and was a but shocked to see how the clothing showed up in the IR illumination.
He was wearing camo pants, camo t-shirt, my tan fleece shirt (it got cool out), black rubber boots, and a black knit cap. (and was carrying a camo folding chair and a camo fanny pack - gotta earn his keep by being my pack mule :lol: )
I was wearing blue jeans and a dark green corduroy shirt.
IM000014b.JPG
wabi
Crispy

Re: interesting picture

Post by Crispy »

Wabi,
Isnt that the way deer see us?
Crispy
secret

Post by secret »

Looks like you need some UV-Killer.... im a firm believer in that product..if you dont think so just run a blacklight over your camo and you will see what deer can see!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Missin

Post by Missin »

:mrgreen: I looked at that before i read it and thought it was a crazy granny poking around your feeder.
wabi

Post by wabi »

What's odd to me is that all that clothing is washed in the same detergent. Since we were hunting from the blind I was wearing a dark shirt, but it sure wasn't dark in the pic!
The cotton t-shirt and cotton jeans were not bright?
I think I'll buy a black cotton sweatshirt and wash it in UV killer or baking soda and then take another "portrait" of myself at night.
wabi
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

As Arte Johnston would say.....That's veeery interesting.

So much for wearing camo. If that's what the deer see, it's no better than wearing white. I notice the the black boots and binos still appear black. Perhaps the way to go is to get "black and white" camo clothes. Not only would they be good in Winter, but also in Fall.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JimM

Post by JimM »

Missin wrote::mrgreen: I looked at that before i read it and thought it was a crazy granny poking around your feeder.

:lol: Dito
secret

Post by secret »

Cotton camo turns without a Ultra violet killer spray. Thats why i only buy100% Polyester camo.The colorfast dyes in cotton reflect uv. Plus the wicking value of polyester is hard to beat.
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
wabi

Post by wabi »

secret wrote:Cotton camo turns without a Ultra violet killer spray. Thats why i only buy100% Polyester camo.The colorfast dyes in cotton reflect uv. Plus the wicking value of polyester is hard to beat.
I'm going to do some experimenting in the near future.
Just read the tags on the clothes I could find, and the shirt my son is wearing like a coat is 100% polyester. The shirt I have on in the pic is 100% cotton.

Various fabrics, all washed in the same detergent, and varying results in "reflectivity" of the IR light. Must be more than just fabric type or detergent brand that is involved????????????
I might add that the fabric texture varies, too. The shirt he has on is a soft fleece and mine is corduroy.
The fleece shirt is white looking, the fleece fanny pack isn't. His cotton t-shirt still looks camo and my cotton jeans aren't reflecting light as bad as my cotton shirt.

I don't have an answer as to why it looks the way it does, but I suspect the answer might be something other than than fabric type or detergent type.

Maybe the manufacturers in China are adding lead to our clothing. :shock: :lol: :lol:
wabi
secret

Post by secret »

Ever notice that U.S armed forces camo dosnt reflect uv... they have been making camo Infer Red blocker since the early 50s.
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

All my suits look like this on my IR cams? Even the one that says made in the USA. Don't like :x
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

wow i thought a bag lagy was hitting your feeder...
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

that material wasnt waterproof was it? Looks like a rain jacket which would reflect the IR... Ive never really had an issue with UV before and im usually only 12ft up a tree or within feet of a deer. Then again, I dont wear cotton anything though lol. Heck, maybe they can see UV but I cant talk to them to find out.
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

It doesn't seem to me that this should be a concern. The young man's clothes are illumined by infra-red light. If you've ever looked through generation 3 night vision scope/binocs, and use an infra-red flashlight on the visual target, you will notice the same effect on just about any fabric.

That being said, I don't believe deer see infra-red light. No deer has spooked nor been alarmed when I shine an infra-red flashlight on them, whereas a regular flashlight will cause them to come to alert!

Saying, "You need to wash your clothes with a UV blocker in order to prevent this," misses the fact that it is infra-red light that is being reflected and recorded, and not UV light.
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

wabi Try taking a picture of the same suit without the flash (during the day) there is a difference.