Vortex w/ Parker Scope (Not consistent grouping)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Capt.Dean

Vortex w/ Parker Scope (Not consistent grouping)

Post by Capt.Dean »

I have recently bought a Vortex and a friend give me $150 Parker scope that has Red & Green Illuminated circle dots. I can't get it to shoot consistent. I sighted in at 20 yds and get good consistency at that range, but 30 yds the group gets out to about 3" and 4-5" groups at 40 yds. Just wondering if anyone knows something that could be wrong. The scope is new, but I've heard that dot scopes seem to "jiggle" more than multi-line reticle scopes. The screws are set with Blue Loc-tite.

Another thing of a different subject:
I bought a Dyna Flemish string for the Vortex and it is to long, when on the bow the limbs go all the way out straight. Can I tie a knot in each end to shorten it up?
Will that affect anything? It's all I know to do.
Thompson Ctr-300WM/with a Nikon Monarch
H&R .444 w/ Nikon Monarch
Remington 870 12g Auto-Mag 3"
Marlin .17HMR
Excalibur Vortex w/Parker Red Hot Ill. Dot scope

One way to find out for sure, Hold my beer & watch this!
Capt. Deano
vixenmaster

Re: Vortex w/ Parker Scope (Not consistent grouping)

Post by vixenmaster »

1st welcome to the Forum. 2nd Twist the flemish string up about a dz twists & it should put some bend in limbs. Make sure yer arrows have flat rear noks & we can work from there
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Capt.Dean

Post by Capt.Dean »

Thanks Vixmaster,
I feel like a idiot. I never thought to twist the string.
This is the scope I have on the Vortex. Hope I can get it to hit consistent.
http://parkerbows.com/pb/2007/RHcrossbo ... ilsku=1075
Marlin .17HMR

Capt. Deano
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Make sure all screws on rings & mount are very snug
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
masboy

Post by masboy »

try what i do try shooting the same arrow for your group
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I hear tell the circle dots are not as precise as other aiming points like crosshairs and chevrons. But, it may not be the scope . Need to know more about your arrows to offer an opinion however.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you're shooting tight groups at 20 yards it sounds more like an arrow problem than a scope problem.
I've had a few scope problem over the years, but it was always that POI would suddenly shift. Still good groups, just several inches from where I was aiming.
wabi
Capt.Dean

Post by Capt.Dean »

Cossack wrote:I hear tell the circle dots are not as precise as other aiming points like crosshairs and chevrons. But, it may not be the scope . Need to know more about your arrows to offer an opinion however.
Shooting Excalibur 20" Firebolts w/ 100gr Fld Pts. Went outside yesterday after I posted this & shot 3 arrows at 30 yds--1 Bulleye, other 2 about a inch off.
Marlin .17HMR

Capt. Deano
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

Capt.Dean wrote:I have recently bought a Vortex and a friend give me $150 Parker scope that has Red & Green Illuminated circle dots. I can't get it to shoot consistent. I sighted in at 20 yds and get good consistency at that range, but 30 yds the group gets out to about 3" and 4-5" groups at 40 yds. Just wondering if anyone knows something that could be wrong. The scope is new, but I've heard that dot scopes seem to "jiggle" more than multi-line reticle scopes. The screws are set with Blue Loc-tite.

Another thing of a different subject:
I bought a Dyna Flemish string for the Vortex and it is to long, when on the bow the limbs go all the way out straight. Can I tie a knot in each end to shorten it up?
Will that affect anything? It's all I know to do.

was having the same problem yesterday on my Quad with 4x32 scope. 20 dead on thirty and forty all over the place. Has something to do with arrow speed and the ability of the scope to be able to account for the different ranges. Well thats what the Barnett Rep said.
Barnett Quad 400
22" carbon shafts with vane
125 grain 2 blade rage broadhead
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Capt.Dean wrote:
Cossack wrote:I hear tell the circle dots are not as precise as other aiming points like crosshairs and chevrons. But, it may not be the scope . Need to know more about your arrows to offer an opinion however.
Shooting Excalibur 20" Firebolts w/ 100gr Fld Pts. Went outside yesterday after I posted this & shot 3 arrows at 30 yds--1 Bulleye, other 2 about a inch off.
That's about as tight as you should expect with that rig, esp since the circles aren't that precise. Personally I prefer a bit more FOC: GT Lazar II shafts with 110 gr brass inserts, aluminum nocks and 2" Blazer vanes. (These weigh in at 405 gr and +18% FOC) But the Firebolts, with Blazers and 125 gr tips, fly about the same out of my Phoenix and Vortex.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
JB2010

Post by JB2010 »

A Varizone would be money well spent to fix the problem. If I were you I'd sell the parker scope on ebay or craigslist and buy a varizon. You can get them on ebay for around $90 shipped.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

I had a similar problem with a red dot scope on my SKS. Tried everything I could think of them my wife tuned me in, she suggested I wear my glasses. I wear glasses for distance but do not wear them while using a scope.
Red dot scopes and poor eyesight do not mix, the dot deforms slightly causing poor groups at distance. You will be limited to the extent of your eyesight with these scopes unlike others that magnify.
Something to think about