150 g boltcutters to Rage 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

scottee

150 g boltcutters to Rage 2

Post by scottee »

Can someone tell me what type of Rage 2 blade broadheads would be the best suited to the firebolts I have 150 g boltcutters and not sure if the 100 or 125 g Rage are the best for my type of arrows .or if there is a better expandable broadhead that you would recommend Thanks
crazyfarmer

Re: 150 g boltcutters to Rage 2

Post by crazyfarmer »

either one... 125 is closer in weight. You will have to resight the bow in for either one. Just a matter if you want 100grains or 125
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I switched to the 100 gr. Rage from the boltcutter. Shoots just like a fd. pt.
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I still don't fully understand this. I've always been told to keep the FOC higher on CB arrows. So how can a person switch from a 150 grain to a 100 grain BH without losing accuracy? You're dropping 50 grains in the front end...won't that tremendously impact the flight of your arrow? :?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Use can go lighter on front & still shoot accurate. Its all a combination of several components working together. I have built & used arrows that weighed 560 gr total but only had a 15/16 % FOC & had 100 gr BH's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

lvt01 wrote:I still don't fully understand this. I've always been told to keep the FOC higher on CB arrows. So how can a person switch from a 150 grain to a 100 grain BH without losing accuracy? You're dropping 50 grains in the front end...won't that tremendously impact the flight of your arrow? :?

depends on what arrow you have and the starting FOC of that arrow. Ive always said that 16-18% FOC is ideal.. Higher FOC is great but you are only causing the arrow to nosedive quicker.

Mine with a 100gr tip have a FOC of 17%.. firebolts with a 100gr tip had a 11-12%FOC I think?

its becomes a point when you have to much(if that makes sense). A 12%FOC will shoot perfectly straight also under perfect conditions. Its no reason you cant drive tacs with a 8-12% arrow. But start adding wind and different sized bheads to that arrow and it could group off 1-2inches on that light FOC.
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I did need to adjust my scope a bit but the speed I picked up was worth it. Changed out the factory string for the FFF and added cat whiskers then wanted to get the most speed out of my CB and all the testing done by Excal states that the 100 gr. tip with the firebolt was the way to go for my phoenix. Now that it's all said and done it is just like shooting the boltcutter but better, same POI, with the same POA plus 15-20 FPS and a wider broadhead that comes highly recommended by many. Sure you lose a little kinetic energy but I beleive the bh makes up for it with just the width. Just my opinion...
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
Boo

Post by Boo »

lvt01 wrote:I still don't fully understand this. I've always been told to keep the FOC higher on CB arrows. So how can a person switch from a 150 grain to a 100 grain BH without losing accuracy? You're dropping 50 grains in the front end...won't that tremendously impact the flight of your arrow? :?
A high FOC will help when something is not right like arrow spine, poor cam timing, poorly aligned broadheads. If your shaft is perfectly straight, if you spine is perfect, etc you can get away with a very low FOC. Poor set ups and inconsistencies from one arrow set up shows up much more when you shoot past normal hunting ranges so at 100 yards one set up may be wildly off the target yet at 20 pull Robin Hoods all day. For the most part most if not all of us have now way of knowing just how good our arrows are so a good rule of thumb is to shoot and let the results show you the way. No combination of broadhead, shaft, vane off-set is going to work every time or in any bow. Extreme FOC and a large amount of off-set to your fletchings will work more often than low FOC and low off-set because it masks inconsistencies in spine, shaft straightness, broadhead alignment etc between arrows in your quiver.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
scottee

Post by scottee »

I sure appreciate all the info ,Im not sure what FOC stands for ,and im not to concerned about more speed as much as accuracy ,so in everyones opinion would the heavyer BH be a better choice or the 100g and would adding a lighted nock to the arrow make any difference Thanks