Opening Day Buck Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JimM

Opening Day Buck Season

Post by JimM »

This Year and half old buck and i have a past. Two weeks ago during our Dow only early season, I was coming out of the woods and came across this Buck. :o I think he new i couldn't do anything. I didnt want to spoke him and he hadnt seen me so i thought i would throw a stick and him. After throwing the third stick and him still not wanting to leave the grass he was eating I stood up and he huffed at me a few times and ran. Jump ahead two weeks to opening day od buck season.

A friend asked if he could tag along with me this morning and being the nice guy that i i'm i said sure. We get to the woods at about 5:50am and i make a be line for my stand (hanger) after about 25 minutes of him bumble $%^# throw the woods and getting his climber up in a tree we have maybe 30 minutes tell there is light. One deer has already walked under my stand, to dark to tell if it was a buck or doe but it gave some idea that my scent was good becouse there was no reaction. It came and went. at about 7:45 i heard him coming up from behind me. he was walking real slow, not a worry in the world :D . I looked out in front of him to see were my first shoting lane was going to be. Ranged it at 34 yards. Perfect. He hit the lane and i let it fly. He was quartering away from me a little but still a good shot. He kicked and went on his death run. I heard him crash twice. maybe 40 to 50 yard from my stand up hill. I gave him about an hour and half, plus my buddy had deer all around him up on top of the hill and i didnt want to mess up his hunt.I got him into bow hunting last year and he has yet to get one with his compound. :(

To make a long story short, I found my arrow (pink) i had a great blood trail and he is hanging. I came home just got up from my nap and getting ready to go out for my afternoon hunt.

From my tree stand

picture isnt good but this is the great blood trail

To sum it up. he's not a monster but he's going to Hunters for the hungry. I told my self that this year the first two deer i get are being donated. :D Now i can start filling my freezer. Its looking a little bare. The wife and i had steak and eggs this morning and it was the last of my steak.

Good luck to everybody and be safe. Dont forget to use your safety harness.
OkXbowHunter

Re: Opening Day Buck Season

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Good going Jim! And it's an aweful nice gesture to donate two deer to the Hunters for the Hungry. I'm sure you'll be blessed for it.

Hope you get the deer you want!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Nice little buck there Jim. If you dropped him off before lunch, then I may gave saw him when I dropped off my doe. They said a spike was the only buck that had been dropped off this morning.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
JimM

Post by JimM »

DuckHunt wrote:Nice little buck there Jim. If you dropped him off before lunch, then I may gave saw him when I dropped off my doe. They said a spike was the only buck that had been dropped off this morning.

DuckHunt
Duckhunt do you go to marks place ?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats Jim and congrats to the hungry.

Did you use the Vortex again? I'm guessing from your write-up, he went about 20 yards?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
JimM

Post by JimM »

sumner4991 wrote:Congrats Jim and congrats to the hungry.

Did you use the Vortex again? I'm guessing from your write-up, he went about 20 yards?
No, Just to give me a little piece of mind i went back to the G5 montec
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer, looks like it would be good eating.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JimM

Post by JimM »

The Day just keeps getting better. What a great opening day.
My buddy and I get back to my hunting spot, get geared up and start walking to the woods (30yrds) for our afternoon hunt. Its 3:30 and we get past the horse stables and i see three doe just down the hill. I motion my buddy to get down, i dont have my range finder but i figure its around 40 yards. I get down and move to my left to give my self a better shot. I lay my forty yard line on the doe and let it fly. Hit a little hi and i catch her spine. :( she drops in her tacks. so i pull my knife and go finish the job. :( I hate when i have to do that. So much for my afternoon hunt. I tell my buddy to go hunt,and I take care of the deer,I take it over to the butcher. I get back to the woods at 5:30 and sit in what i think was cover. but i had deer all around me and every time, i got spotted. (busted) I would get the white flag F you. But thats ok, i was done for the day.
What a great bow. No regreats going from compound to CB, or better yet to Excalibur.
Its opening day, two deer down, and my shoulder feels great :D
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats on the spike.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

You guys on that side of the mountain have it so ruff. :mrgreen:
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!
Sounds like a busy day. :lol:
wabi
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

That's a great first day. Now what do you do for an encore?? Nice buck!
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You are a killing machine. :lol: You stud!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congratulations on your fine buck!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Nice hunts man. It is mighty great of you to make that donation. I told my wife that my next is going to go to a local soup spam. St. Clair County has one of the worst unemployment rates in the state.