Trajectory Question Need some quick advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichJ

Re: Trajectory Question Need some quick advice

Post by RichJ »

The biggest prob that I see is the 5 inch Feathers. Feather are like a parachute on the tail of a arrow. At 40 yards you are prob looking at a 4-5 inch or even more drop then you would see with a plastic style vane. Out of the bow they will read a faster fps because of the weight of a feather. They will stable a broadhead fast on a untunes vertical bow or stable a arrow off a recurve or long bow. Besides that I really don't see a upside with using them with a crossbow or on bow that has clearence with a god rest.. Just my opinion and everyone has one.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Just sight it in at 30, and use that as your shoot to distance. It will be a bit high at 20 and pretty close to on at 10. 40 may be a stretch for your setup. (shooting arrows of different weights don't do much for consistency either.)
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I have found the only you can do to NOT hit dead on at 20yrds is aim the wrong direction. Once you get out past that 30yrd mark that is where things really make a diff. I use Blazers on my Equinox. On my vertical bow I have always ran a 3 inch vane and was iffy going down to a little Blazer. After taking the advice from members here I was HIGHLY impressed with them.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Cossack wrote:Just sight it in at 30, and use that as your shoot to distance. It will be a bit high at 20 and pretty close to on at 10. 40 may be a stretch for your setup. (shooting arrows of different weights don't do much for consistency either.)

I use 4in feathers on 2114's weighing 352grs, I'm sighted in at 35yds and good to 50yds, no prob with them at all, they're more forgiving than any vane, Know your limits, Good luck 45

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

45 . . .nothing you change on your scope/sights will change your trajectory, nothing.

It is best to use the scope the way it was intended. Crosshairs at 20 and adjust the speed ring to get the other chevrons on zero for further yardages.

If you want flatter shooting, then you will need to speed up your arrow. Make the bow faster or lose some weight in the arrow components. Or change some components. Or all of the above.

Personally, I shoot all kinds of weighted arrows when I'm target shooting throughout the Summer. However, getting ready for hunting, they all weigh the exact same . . .the exact same as my hunting arrows. Its worth the time, effort and expense to get matching arrows.

Good luck buddy!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I used to use a Vixen and the old DropZone scope. Sighted in at 20 yards with the crosshairs the top chevron was on at 10 yards. The bottom chevrons were on at 27 - 35 - 42.

You need to leave it sighted in at 20 and shoot to see where the other chevrons are on, then remember those yardages!
You might also consider sighting in at 25 yards with the crosshair and just using a dead-on hold inside 30.

Beyond 30 is pushing the ethical shot limit with that arrow speed IMO.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Only one solution then 45 . . .go to the nearest shop and get a Varizone. :D

45, the weight really needs to be the same. The slower you are shooting, the more the weight difference will show up at longer ranges.

I doubt you have a trajectory issue nor a scope issue. It's an issue with knowing where your arrows are going to hit at longer ranges. At longer ranges is when you REALLY need consistancy in your arrow's weight. There will be a good amount of difference in the plastic components, they will be lite.

Get six arrows of the same component make-up and see if that makes a difference in your long range consistancy.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen