Monday , Tuesday >> Wednesday pic's added ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Monday , Tuesday >> Wednesday pic's added ...

Post by R.J. »

As usual , I have the 1st week of October off as Vacation ... Randy S. and I have been hunting the opening week together for years ...

This year , we have been meeting around lunch time to trim new stands , repairing or tearing down old ones , then taking an evening stand with our climbers approx 4:30pm .

Haven't done any morning stands yet , since we have both have things to take care of in the morning , and to tell the truth , my back aint as good as it use to be ... most morings I feel as tired as this cat I snapped a picture of at one farm :lol: :lol:

Have moved around between 4 farms , but still haven't had a decent buck encounter ! Yesterday , I was set up in a nice cedar .... had some good doe encounters , but the buck came out on the other side of the field . :oops:

Tonight we carved two new trees approx 100 yards apart ... I saw deer moving in the corn and tried every call in the book to get them over to me ... only this little button buck came in right under the tree .

He stuck around for awhile ... I took several pictures of him and one quick video clip before he left ... The as the sun was dropping a big doe and decent 8 point buck stopped in my 30 yard opening that runs off this trail cut ...

I'm thinking Sweeeeet ! ... Tag # 2 filled ! ... then in my excitment , I blew the shot with a rookie mistake !
( new tree ... forgot to check clearance on my left hand limb before the shot )
the limb hit a branch and nearly thru my Y25 Relayer out of my hands ! ... The arrow hit low and way right ... oh well , good it was a clean miss , but it still hurts , thinking about it as I type this ! :lol: :lol:

We are part time hunters ... they are full time deer !

Page Break ... Wednesday October 6th

Yep , the Y25 is in good shape ... It took a pretty good sideways jolt , but some minor adjustments and shooting spot on !

Wednesday , finds us back in the field carving new climber tree locations ( gotta keep moving around looking for buck sign ) .... we carved two new spots ( one overlooking a travel funnel bush between a creek and a food source , the other at a cedar swail edge overlooking a clover / bean field )

Still dealing with some back pain , I climb slowly and trim ...

While Randy does the ground work ( clearing branches and shooting lanes ) ... I used my truck to knock down a trail thru the tall weeds ... by day three , my truck has so much mud and dirt road debris covering it , you can hardly tell , color / make / model ... :lol: :lol:

4:00pm ... We are set up in the funnel bush .

6:00pm ... Randy has a big male Coyote under his stand , but doesn't take it because he has deer in the field heading his way ( he let the air out of two Coyotes earlier on in the week > sorry no pic's ) ... Anyway , later we find we are surrounded by Coyotes ... on the ridge , in the bush , at the field perimeter ... looks like they are going to mess up our new location ... The big male Coyote moves into the corn and when he starts crashing thru the corn , a yearling doe moves forward in range to check out the noise , at just under 20 yards , Randy sends a 2216 with WASP Boss on board , of the deck of his "old model " Exomag ! ( The old , hand painted camo , carved limb Exomag , still shoots like a charm after all these years )

Another spine pass thru does the job and drops the doe in her tracks .. Randy fills his 1st tag of 2010 .

Two more days left to hunt this week ... We still haven't found any awsome buck sign , and me missing the 8 point Tuesday , didn't help , but we are enjoying our time in the field and have some tastey venison treats to show for our efforts !
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Pinpoint

Re: Monday , Tuesday = fun hunt but missed a nice buck , Yik

Post by Pinpoint »

Thanks for the pics, it definately helps paint the picture.

Hope your next encounter with that 8pt goes your way!! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Is the Y25 OK?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

enormous wrote:Is the Y25 OK?
My thoughts too . . .it must have been a BIG 8. :) R.J. have you inspected the Y25? :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Sounds like someone got buck fever??? :lol:

Just kidding RJ. I'm sure you will pull it together for the next one or three. :wink:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

That cat looks like mine did this evening, but mine was curled up next to me on the bed. :lol: :lol:

Had to repair a water leak in a nasty crawlspace this afternoon, and I was too whipped to even think about hunting this evening. :oops: (I know all about the "back not as good as it used to be". :roll: )
wabi
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

Sounds like you are seeing a lot anyway.....The season still young, no worries.

I would like to think you are just saving a few for me :D

Going to finally hit the woods on Sunday.....still "making up" for the week of moose hunting.
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Sounds like you are having a decent week RJ :)

I will be out next week & hopefully will connect>

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
ecoaster

Re: Monday , Tuesday >> Wednesday pic's added ...

Post by ecoaster »

Keep at em RJ. Just leave one or two for me. I am taking two weeks off at the end of the month to get in some serious hunting.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Great pictures as usual R.J! Congrats to the successful hunter and hope you connect soon.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like the action is good in that location.
Congrats to the successful hunter!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics added and congrats on bringing the doe down. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Joe

Post by Joe »

Love your stories and pictures! Congrats! :)