Taking does

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaGriz

Re: Taking does

Post by DaGriz »

Taking does is a very good management tool when the ratio of bucks to does is way down, The constant taking of small bucks, i.e. spikes , forks and little 3 x 3's does far more to damage the herd population. In my area the herd was been severely reduced by late winter die off due to large amounts of snow after deer have left the wintering yards. Even with that, you will see over 25 does for every buck. I will pass every small buck I see and take a large doe instead. I see nothing wrong with the killing of does,
A lot of people believe that taking a large doe that has a yearling with her is wrong, If you have observed deer during the winter, when food is in short supply, the yearlings are always kept from the food BY THEIR MOTHERS, until the mother eats her fill; which incidently is when the limited supply is gone. The young deer are the first to die off . If they have no mother with them they will fare substantially better and their survival rate is increased .

I've also never found a way to cook deer antlers! ;)
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Most people tend to think spikes will always be spikes. So they shoot them. Bucks have to start somewhere. They don't come out full blown 150inches at 1.5 years of age lol. We weren't born 6ft 180pounds lol.

I just have the option not to take small bucks since its always doe in the field. Doe taste better, especially during the rut also. Bucks are usually tough as leather. But if a doe and a 4pt are beside each other I'm shooting the doe. We get 3 buck tags here and its a long season for me to go. I have to pick and choose my bucks. Granted some years I don't get any since I hold out.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

He does not eat the meat.

I could care less if a hunter wants to shoot fawns, does, big bucks, little bucks thats not for another fella to judge, hunting tradition varies greatly region to region. However, a fella who likes to kill but does not partake of the flesh - that fella should do his shooting with a camera.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Boo

Post by Boo »

DaGriz wrote:Taking does is a very good management tool when the ratio of bucks to does is way down, The constant taking of small bucks, i.e. spikes , forks and little 3 x 3's does far more to damage the herd population. In my area the herd was been severely reduced by late winter die off due to large amounts of snow after deer have left the wintering yards. Even with that, you will see over 25 does for every buck. I will pass every small buck I see and take a large doe instead. I see nothing wrong with the killing of does,
A lot of people believe that taking a large doe that has a yearling with her is wrong, If you have observed deer during the winter, when food is in short supply, the yearlings are always kept from the food BY THEIR MOTHERS, until the mother eats her fill; which incidently is when the limited supply is gone. The young deer are the first to die off . If they have no mother with them they will fare substantially better and their survival rate is increased .

I've also never found a way to cook deer antlers! ;)
Older does are also a poor vehicle for passing on good genetics.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

crazyfarmer wrote:Most people tend to think spikes will always be spikes. So they shoot them. Bucks have to start somewhere.
Which is why there are minimum point standards sometimes. Elk are a prime example where mangers know that if those standards weren't in place there would be no decent animals to hunt. But it always goes back to does(for many reasons) to control and enhance the herd.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Now that the stones have been cast due to this thread (myself included) it seems that it is now being taken seriously and I will comment on my beliefs. First of all, we don't have the bucks that Crazyfarmer and Mike P have. Be it poor management of our resources or shooting to many or not enough does, our area is slap full of does but the buck numbers are down, especially quality bucks. That 130" 8 pointer that I killed last year was my biggest buck of my life and during my hunting years, I have only sen a handful of bucks this size on the hoof. Shoot, from what I have seen, CF and Mike P would pass on this buck as they see them all the time. So, I'm going to present another question: Our club has a very liberal antler restriction that is for all the wrong reasons. All bucks must have 1 fork off the main beam t hat has to be past his ears. The fine for shooting an "inferior buck is $50.00 per occurrence and doubles for the second and upward from there. Personally, I would rather harvest a mature doe that a small buck but in my area, if I don't shoot him I promise the next guy will. How do you deal with that mentality. How can we get bigger bucks in our area? It's been this way for many, many years. Sorry Boo,for hijacking your thread and for jumping the gun on my original reply.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ray, I would shoot a 130 here;) that's about as big as they get for us. The 140-160s are what I try for though but they are few and far between here as down your way. The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not taking a buck unless its getting mounted though. Good post my friend
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Take a buck or take a doe, if you have the choice it is your choice to make. Spike, forkhorn, or a nice big 10pt. There are enough rules and regulations, we don't need any more.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to outsmart a mature buck. I find it a different level of hunting. Will I shoot a doe?? Sure, but I tend to put my efforts towards racked bucks first then think about taking a doe. I get excited, my heartrate goes up any time a deer is near. I also enjoy listening to the owls in the morning, the chickadees as they come for a visit. The fall smells. The cool autumn breeze. The solitude. It all goes together.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
secret

Post by secret »

Here in WMU 2b doe tags are unlimited. You want to shoot 30, buy 30 tags. if you run out buy more! No matter what you do you still haver only 1 buck tag. So taking does keeps you in the woods longer!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

My $ 0.02

I believe Boo started this thread to inform newer hunters about taking does and had no intention of singleing out anyone on the forum ?

From what I understand he was talking about someone he bumped into near his new property .

This particular guy hunted racks and racks only ... Wasn't particularly concerned about the outdoor / adventure / beauty / experience etc. , only killing something with a big rack !

Boo just didn't understand this dude ? ... Simple as that ?

Now this thread has morfed into 4 pages of mostly mudslinging ???

Alot of good points from forum members re: choices buck / vs / doe ...

Chirs4570 wrote ...
Take a buck or take a doe, if you have the choice it is your choice to make. Spike, forkhorn, or a nice big 10pt. There are enough rules and regulations, we don't need any more.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to outsmart a mature buck. I find it a different level of hunting. Will I shoot a doe?? Sure, but I tend to put my efforts towards racked bucks first then think about taking a doe. I get excited, my heartrate goes up any time a deer is near. I also enjoy listening to the owls in the morning, the chickadees as they come for a visit. The fall smells. The cool autumn breeze. The solitude. It all goes together.

That's pretty well how I feel about " Whitetail Hunting " in my area .

We don't have the buck and doe numbers that some do in other WMU's / States ....

Bottom line .... I just spent an awsome week in the field with freinds " hunting whitetails " .
Last edited by R.J. on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

I agree with R.J. on the mud slinging!

I'm not following the feud, but I'm upset the forum has deteriorated to the point that members will go to extremes with insults. I've been attacked in other thread(s) simply because I commented on the quality of Boo's strings.

Seems like the game camera discussion got ugly (I didn't follow that thread, so I'm not passing judgments there) and the hurt feelings have spilled over into any threads that those members comment on.

I even read where Ray has now prohibited Tyler (Longshot) from posting because of the attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like a member, simply put them on your "enemy" list and you won't have to read their comments. Was/is it your intention to make those in need of good information suffer because it's no longer a safe place to visit? I don't believe any of us are really that evil.

Guys & Gals - It's time for all of us to step back, get our ego in check, and make this forum a welcome place for the youth and newcomers to learn about crossbows!

I could name names, but that would serve no purpose - it would probably just escalate the hostilities. You know if YOU are a part of it! I'm begging (as in respectfully and humbly) all of those members that are posting negative comments and character attacks to cease & desist!

PLEASE make this forum a friendly place again, even if it means swallowing your pride and not posting a response to retaliate to an (real or assumed) attack on your pride or character!

I look forward to your cooperation, and I look forward to seeing posts from everyone posted without malice intended.

If I like a member you don't like should that mean you have to dislike me? I don't see it that way! You can think I'm a poor judge of character, but judge me on my own merits and personality, and if you still don't like me just ignore me in the future. But please don't post derogatory comments, that simply lowers the standard of quality this forum has built it's reputation on.

I will try to live up to the standards I suggest here. If I cant say something truly positive and nice (meaning no hidden or implied insults), I simply will not comment!

(edited to correct a typo - not to change the content)
wabi
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I believe Don started this post to create some intelligent discussion on the pro's and con's of shooting a doe. Everybody has their own opinions on this subject and has the right (within the law) to shoot whatever they want. The point is/was tyo have an informative discussion and share thoughts and ideas! I personally feel the kill is anti climatic and many times have passed the oportunity because I didn't want to "kill" that day. The hunt is the enjoyable part, the kill is anticlimatic. Let your personal ethics, respect for the animal and good deer herd management be your guide
There is no need to get vehement and angry to discuss this topic. I, like Boo seldom post here because no matter what your opinion or feelings are, somebody is going to trash you.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

DaGriz wrote:I believe Don started this post to create some intelligent discussion on the pro's and con's of shooting a doe.
yeah i seen that too....but i guess it brought out more then that too....i really am surprized at who got in his face too :shock: ....all i have seen in this thread are the ones who won't shoot a doe no matter how important it is to do so to maintain a healthy deer herd and a good buck/doe ratio :wink: ....i have ran into some of the guys boo has talked bout in this thread, i just don't get it either....on another forum there is a guy who owns land, keeps it posted and DOES NOT allow any body to hunt on it to kill HIS BUCKS....he has also proclaimed he WILL NOT shoots does either, here's the catch he don't eat the meat or gives it away :shock: ....what does he do with the meat then :?: , my bet as to his talk is he only takes out the antlers :shock: :roll: ....this sounds almost like the guy boo ran into and some here have defended this guy :( :roll: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

DaGriz wrote:I believe Don started this post to create some intelligent discussion on the pro's and con's of shooting a doe.
You can fool some of the people some of the time, and...........................................
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks to the friend who linked me to this thread. I learned a lot. :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Eze 18:21"